• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lynch Road ?

Rusty

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:33 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the top two lines on this fender tag mean?

Tag.jpg

Top: first code is the gate number then last 6 of VIN
Second line: engine trans and rear axle codes.

My info comes from a 69road runner book, so i think the actual numbers have changed from 69 to 70 (i cant find your numbers in my 69 book), but....
The second line 3 digit codes are engine assy, axle assy, and trans assy codes.
The top line 5 digit is a gate series code. First two are gate used,, last three are the number of cars that passed through that gate that day. Six digit is a line sequence number. (Usually numerically close to the vin)
Lynch road usually has 8 digits of the vin on that same line, to the right of the 5 and six.

Can anyone tell me what the top two lines on this fender tag mean?

View attachment 1112226

19 = Gate number
157 = Base number
These have to do with the assembly of the body in white or the bare shell of the car.

163536 = Sequence number of the body since beginning of that model year. Or, put another way, this is the 63,536th body assembled since the beginning of the new year.

087= engine assembly number = 70 B/E body 383-4 for manual transmission and w/o A/C. Painted orange. Rated at 335 horse.

054 = rear axle assembly = B body 8.75 rear end; 3.23 gears w/o Sure grip, 11' drums.

674= transmission assembly = 70 B body four speed behind a 383-04bbl

Excellent, many thanks everyone

163536 = Sequence number of the body since beginning of that model year. Or, put another way, this is the 63,536th body assembled since the beginning of the new year.

Just for curiosity, what does the sequence number (262585) signify on this '69 Road Runner?

01111_cKBNeJ7bayO_0jm0ex_1200x900.jpg

I think the 162,585 body in white put together that year. Fairly late production car.... but you knew that by the May 1st build date. (501 in the first [bottom] line).
Edit: 925-383,335hp,orange
643-3.91 sure grip 8 3/4, 11 in, drums, f and r. A31 package
603-833 fourspeed, for 383 engine.

Last edited:
I think the 162,585 body in white put together that year. Fairly late production car.... but you knew that by the May 1st build date. (501 in the first [bottom] line).
Edit: 925-383,335hp,orange
643-3.91 sure grip 8 3/4, 11 in, drums, f and r. A31 package
603-833 fourspeed, for 383 engine.

I must be missing a post. It seems like you are referring to a 69 tag that I'm not seeing.

Hello fellow B body friends!

I am new to the forum, but I hope the knowledgable folks here can help me out.
Attached is the fender tag of a 69 Satellite from the Lynch Road plant.

I have tried as best as I could to decipher most of the codes but the following ones still elude me.
Second row: 572 080 (should be axle and transmission, but what in detail?)
Fourth row: H1X (should be interior, but what does it really mean? In the car is a black bench seat with sort of grey (faded?) fabric inserts)
Fifth row: 829 should be the production/ order date for the car (august 29th of 1969) right?
Guess what, I have an official document theat states the car's first registration date is july 1st 1969???
Am I getting something wrong here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG-20210609-WA0000.jpg

Your vin of 110785 makes it the 10,785th car, so, quite early. So your august 29 build date is 1968. Late august in 69, they would be building 70s.
The five digit code on the top (last) row is gate series code. First two are gate used, last three are the amount of cars through that gate that day, to that point.
The six digit is the sequence number, for the body in white. The eight digit is obviously last eight of vin.
The three three-digit codes are engine, rearend, and trans codes. My book only covers roadrunners, so i dont have the small block info.
The rest looks like a honey bronze metallic hardtop, with a black bench seat interior with a black vinyl roof.

Last edited:
Thank you for that information 33 imp.
So it sat for 10 months at the dealer's ? Hard to imagine nowadays but you must be right.
Anyone with information on the 572 and 080 codes around?
I am still wondering if H1X is just black benchseats or a more detailed code.

Info i have is that H2 is the upscale vinyl bench, (third digit denotes color, X is black) so i think your H1X would be the standard satellite black bench.

Hello fellow B body friends!

I am new to the forum, but I hope the knowledgable folks here can help me out.
Attached is the fender tag of a 69 Satellite from the Lynch Road plant.

I have tried as best as I could to decipher most of the codes but the following ones still elude me.
Second row: 572 080 (should be axle and transmission, but what in detail?)
Fourth row: H1X (should be interior, but what does it really mean? In the car is a black bench seat with sort of grey (faded?) fabric inserts)
Fifth row: 829 should be the production/ order date for the car (august 29th of 1969) right?
Guess what, I have an official document theat states the car's first registration date is july 1st 1969???
Am I getting something wrong here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 1121721

572 = axle code = unknown to me at this time. I'll keep looking.
080 = last three digits of the transmission part number = 2892080 904 Automatic transmission used in '68 and '69 ABC bodies behind a 318.

H1X interior (see attachment). Also see Hamtramck Historical library for more detailed info in Data and color and trim books. https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

The Gate, Base and Sequence numbers are part of the assembly process for the body in white. The Base numbers reset to 100 each day so a Base number of 131 = the 31st body through that gate (basically a jig) each day. The Sequence number is a cumulative counting of bodies produced that model year. So sequence number 109396 = the 9,396th body since production began.

VINs are a function of administration and totally unrelated to production. A VIN of 110785 means this car has the 10,785 VIN assigned. It does not mean it is the 10,785 car built. This is a common and often reported erroneous concept. Cars are not built in VIN sequence so it is impossible to know in what order the cars were built. VINs are cardinal (counting - car one, car two, car three...) not ordinal (order-first car, second car, third car).

69_Belvedere0007.jpg
69_Belvedere0008.jpg

Thank you so much 69Coronetrt, this is very valuable for me!
:thankyou:

Maybe someone can also explain, why engine and transmission show up with 2 separate codes each.
Engine 865 in line 2 and E44 in line 5
Transmission 080 in line 2 and D31 in line 5

Why were these infos duplicated?

Maybe someone can also explain, why engine and transmission show up with 2 separate codes each.
Engine 865 in line 2 and E44 in line 5
Transmission 080 in line 2 and D31 in line 5

Why were these infos duplicated?

The E44 is the generic sales code and tells you the 'what'; a 318-2bbl.
The 865 is the assembly code and tells you the 'which' or the specific 318 assembly for that application.

The E44 sales code applies to A, B and C bodies. It doesn't take into account the body configuration (which may affect exhaust manifolds) whether the car has A/C (affects carburetors and distributors or timing of distributor) or which transmission (Automatic or manual) is used for the application. The assembly code takes all of that into consideration.

The same concept applies to the transmission. Sales code D31 tells us the 'what'; automatic transmission. It doesn't tell us 'which' transmission to use. The three digit assembly code, which is actually the last three digits of the part number, tells us the specific transmission to use.

This is why you can't look at an H in a 68-70 B body VIN code and know which 383-4bbl assembly (330 or 335 horse HP) a car received. The sales codes and VIN codes only tell us the what; not the which.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back