• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machining Cast Aluminum with an end grinder

sam dupont

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I'm shaping some 1/4 inch thick cast aluminum. No idea of its composition.
My problem is: the carbide burr, (sc-3nf 1/4x3/8x3/4x2) packs full of material quickly. Is there a way to prevent this? A technique? A faster way to dig out the cutters? I'm spending more time digging than grinding

First answer you should be using a burr designed for non-serous material..
Second answer, WD-40 helps.. So does Bees Wax or if you have an old milk crate grind a little plastic then aluminum, then back to plastic...

Slow RPM and aluminum cutting oil. I always liked TapMagic.
410j0AkqhaL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Thank you for the tips! It is non-serous, (spell check got me too, what the hell is non-serous?). I thought about wax, but I got through the first step and wanted to make less work of it as I continued. I wasn't sure if I was using too fine of a NF burr or what was my problem.

Last edited:
Ordinary candle wax works on carbide burrs and band saw blades when working with aluminum. Grinding
or sanding discs will load up and clog! You just have to keep applying it as you go. It will melt as soon as
you touch it to the burr.

They do make special burrs for aluminum that have deeper flutes.

Ferrous? (spell check issue)

Try a file card.

Doesn't stop the loading of the cutter, but makes removing the packed in material go way faster.

If your using a burr, high speed (HS) steel will load up a lot quicker than carbide. The HS burr will heat up and the alum will adhere to it, where the carbide won't heat as quick due to it's RC-90 hardness. Also, as posted earlier WD-40 works very well.

Non ferrous carbide burrs.

carbide.jpg

The only thing that worked on my winters cast Holley SD was Crisco. I tried everything in the shop and a fabricator friend advised I use Bacon grease or shortening. Although a bit messy, it works excellent.

I'm shaping some 1/4 inch thick cast aluminum. No idea of its composition.
My problem is: the carbide burr, (sc-3nf 1/4x3/8x3/4x2) packs full of material quickly. Is there a way to prevent this? A technique? A faster way to dig out the cutters? I'm spending more time digging than grinding
Sam, what's an "end grinder"?

Probably an ancient term first learned from my Grandfather. Some call them pencil grinders. End, as opposed to Side

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 1.09.48 PM.png

Auto Transport Service
Back