• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made in the U.S.A.

............As for tools mine are mostly Craftsmen from well before they went to China.

This is something I would never forget.
I bought my set of Craftsman 1/4"- 1" combination wrenches in my senior year of HS in '75. The set was $30 or so. Snap On and the others were definitely not affordable for me. Hell, I could hardly afford my '66 Sport Fury.
Anyway back to the wrench set. I get these things home open them up and I find they are made in the country the U.S. and allies put in it's place 30 years earlier. Well, I'm pissed thinking WTF? I seriously felt this was a bunch of crap and I should take them back. Well I didn't as I needed them at the time and ended up keeping them.
They have been just F&D to this day except for the couple that "went missing".

Last year I ordered a Husky 50-250 torque wrench online through a Home Depot affiliate. The add clearly indicates Made In USA. Checked other adds and reviews and the PN was correct for the US wrench. So I order it. Guess what shows up? A different PN wrench that's made in China. Home Depot sends me the printable RMA and shipping label the next day.

tumblr_ou0j1hm75W1tb3eifo1_1280.jpg

Couldn’t agree more!

According to Bill Gates made in America will soon be made by drones with no human involvement. I remember a movie back in the 60s where machines replaced humans. It did not end well.
Made in the U.S.A. maybe become a mute question. The question of the future maybe made by what?
Do not get me wrong we need to embrace technology but it needs to be balanced to the needs of those that created it and not to make us obsolete.

All my tools are also made in the good old USA. I’ve had them for over 40 years too. If I have to buy new I would also prefer American made products. I’m sure the German products would be good as well. Chinese is junk steel, junk stuff.

BTW - I’m impressed with the tool layout a lot of you have. I wouldn’t even show my paltry setup by comparison. No wonder you guys work miracles with your cars - you have plenty of extra hands so to speak. Good show!

I only buy made in the USA tools with very few exceptions.
I buy a lot of stuff on eBay, Slightly used or NOS.
I too, would never consider anything 440 source.

Also, I don't believe any snap-on tools are made overseas. Their "blue point" line is, but their main line of snap-on tools is all made here.

My main set are Industro tools. Wrenches, sockets and ratchets. All US made. Lots nicer handles on the ratchets than those skinny little Snap On things.
I have never cared much for over priced Snap On stuff.

I avoided the overseas stuff for a long time. Back in the 1970's and 1980's almost all of it was junk, and quality USA stuff was not that much more expensive. Problem is many USA companies either went under or moved operations overseas, and that really hurt selection and price of the USA stuff, while at the same time the quality of the overseas stuff improved alot.
I was pricing the Snap-on 3/8" wobble plus extension kit ($206), which are nice as i use my friends set, but ended up buying a set from Gear Wrench for about $30, and they are pretty good. On the other hand, the old Harbor Freight set was total junk.

As a former outboard mechanic, I can only tell ya the good tools and the bad tools fall to the bottom at the same speed!

I only buy made in the USA tools with very few exceptions.
I buy a lot of stuff on eBay, Slightly used or NOS.
I too, would never consider anything 440 source.

Also, I don't believe any snap-on tools are made overseas. Their "blue point" line is, but their main line of snap-on tools is all made here.
Snap-On's Hangzhou Xiaoshan plier factory: http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme2658/index.aspx

Snap-On here lists not only their USA manufacturing plants, but also factories in eleven other countries. https://www.snapon.com/EN/Our-Company/Global-Presence

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one that has tools scattered all over the garage instead of nice and neat like in all of these pics

Auto Transport Service
Back