• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum 500’s NOT hub centric !

417guy

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I subscribe to Mopar Action magazine, have for 20 years. Rick Ehrenberg’s tech has always been helpful. Anyone read the article about hub centric wheels ? I’ve had my wheel vintiques magnum 500’s for over 10 years, 15x8 all around. the tire shop I use has always been able to balance without too much weight. Now I’m concerned after reading this article. I understand the issue, just wondering what anyone else using these wheels, and highway driving ? I drive my old car at 70-80 mph on the highway. Thinking may change to something lighter and that fits the hub. Any comments/issues/ advice anyone wants to share ?

6F9383A0-2C58-446F-ACB8-B0C3076B9F4B.jpeg

These wheels have been in use since 1966 and haven’t been an issue so why be concearned now. Mopar even offered this wheel design at least until 77 as a Road Wheel.

I subscribe to Mopar Action magazine, have for 20 years. Rick Ehrenberg’s tech has always been helpful. Anyone read the article about hub centric wheels ? I’ve had my wheel vintiques magnum 500’s for over 10 years, 15x8 all around. the tire shop I use has always been able to balance without too much weight. Now I’m concerned after reading this article. I understand the issue, just wondering what anyone else using these wheels, and highway driving ? I drive my old car at 70-80 mph on the highway. Thinking may change to something lighter and that fits the hub. Any comments/issues/ advice anyone wants to share ?

View attachment 1300091
What exactly is supposed to be the problem?

I dont think it makes any difference. If the manufactures installed these in the past . Theres no issues.

Magnums/Road Wheels were also sold to FoMoCo - which use smaller hubs - so they wouldn't be hub-centric even if there was a collar inside.
Hub-centricity is more precise, but there have been millions of miles logged without that.
For autocross or racing or track days, I'd want it, but for street use I've been fine since the late '60s...

What exactly is supposed to be the problem?
The only conclusion I draw from the article is maybe lug nuts loosening over time or a possible vibration issue since the wheel is not concentric with the hub or axle ? I’ve run mine likely 25000 miles since new. I agree with other posts that they have been around for many many years, and normal street / highway driving is likely no issue. If I were racing or autocross that would be a different story !

It's nothing to worry about if you can't feel a vibration / are not driving triple digit speeds / autocrossing or otherwise putting extreme loading on the wheel during cornering.

If no problem in 10 years. Theres not a problem.

Mine have been on for nearly 20 years and never an issue.

Drove mine for years with no problems. Used OEM Magnum 14"rims with radials in Germany and always drove 130'ish MPH on the autobahn and never had a problem. Back in the states, changed to 15" Magnums from Stockton Wheel, and still had no issues. The only centering being done on a Magnum wheel is by the chamfered lug nuts, not any hub register in the center of the wheel.

Last edited:
Rick is a smart guy but some people overthink things. They see a problem when one does not exist. 4 Wheel drives often have lug centric wheels and their wheel and tire weight can often be double what a 14” Rallye when is.
I have lug centric wheels and have never had trouble.
Rick worries too much. Remember his worries about upper ball joint “over angling” if you used the later disc knuckle? No incidents ever happened yet he sticks with his opinion.
Funny guy, very smart but he isn’t right about everything.

We used to get the Magnum 500 rims on my brothers 70 Mach I "On Car" balanced.

Old school, but accounts for everything. Sadly, shop that did it is retired and closed.

1655494508306.png

If you are not getting any vibration or other problems I wouldn't lose any sleep over the issue.

Rick is a smart guy but some people overthink things. They see a problem when one does not exist. 4 Wheel drives often have lug centric wheels and their wheel and tire weight can often be double what a 14” Rallye when is.
I have lug centric wheels and have never had trouble.
Rick worries too much. Remember his worries about upper ball joint “over angling” if you used the later disc knuckle? No incidents ever happened yet he sticks with his opinion.
Funny guy, very smart but he isn’t right about everything.
Exactly and well stated. Especially about Rick lol.

The lugs centering the wheel is the most important part. The hub really does little more than get your lugs in proper position to tighten the nuts .
Most if not all serious racing wheels are not tight to the hub . Like weld wheels etc

If I purchased new wheels, I would mount the bare wheel on one of the front hubs and check it for runout.
If one or two runout more than 0.020, I would consider that excessive. I also like to balance a wheel without
a tire mounted to have a base line so if you buy a tire and it needs alot of weight in one spot, reject it!

If I purchased new wheels, I would mount the bare wheel on one of the front hubs and check it for runout.
If one or two runout more than 0.020, I would consider that excessive. I also like to balance a wheel without
a tire mounted to have a base line so if you buy a tire and it needs alot of weight in one spot, reject it!
That’s a great idea !

The stud and lug nuts job is to clamp the wheel to the hub.
Back before OSHA in the early seventies we used Hunter on the car balancers before the computers came along. Very dangerous on used tires. You could have rocks, etc. come off at high speeds and shoot across the shop and unless you were working on a straight axle truck the entire front end would transmit any vibrations caused by loose suspension arts as the suspension was hanging free, unloaded. If you rotated the tires the entire procedure had to be done again.
The center register is critical on commercial vehicles like trucks because it also carries the weight of the vehicle, just like floating axles carry no load just in case an axle breaks. Most racing types use hub centered wheels. Instantly centered, no run out at extreme speeds on a paved track. Dirt is seldom smooth.
Lug centered wheels need to be balanced on special adapters that used the lug holes to center the wheels. We used those in the early seventies when computer balancers first came out and Earlier Porsches and VW's had large 5 lug centers ( Also used that lug pattern size on off road vehicles as it loaded the outside edges of the wheel center where it was stiffer/stronger.) Small bolt patterns like 4 on 4" or 5 on 4" used on light vehicles.
Large cars, Cads, 5 on 5", Larger Chrysler vehicles and Ford pick ups, Jeeps 5 on 5 1/2". Larger trucks 6 and 8 lug.
NASCAR recently returned to one center fastener similar to the Knock off wheels of the past. No lug nuts.

Hub centric is better in theory, but the magnums and a lot of aftermarket wheel center off the lugs. So - tons of evidence that it works ok

Lug centric may be more finicky on tightening sequence etc, so just do it like a pro and all should be good

FWIW, I went with Super Coupe wheels because the are hub centric and clear brakes better - best engineered factory steel wheel IMHO, YMMV.

Buy yourself a cheap bubble balancer for use with unmounted/mounted wheels to check balance.
Make sure the tire tech has the balancer set for lowest practicable OZ per weight possible.
Rule of thumb, lower amt of balance weights better quality of tire.

Hub centric is better in theory, but the magnums and a lot of aftermarket wheel center off the lugs. So - tons of evidence that it works ok

Lug centric may be more finicky on tightening sequence etc, so just do it like a pro and all should be good

FWIW, I went with Super Coupe wheels because the are hub centric and clear brakes better - best engineered factory steel wheel IMHO, YMMV.
I have looked hard at “cop” or “heavy duty “ wheels, painted gray/silver with a small hub cap or center from a “rally” wheel . I like that look !

I have had Ferd Magnum 500 style wheels on several different cars over the years with no issues. I did have to open up the hub I.d. over and 1/8" to fit the Mopar center caps though.

IMG_55551.jpg

20200919_150644.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back