• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a template for a hood scoop with studs

What are you guys using to make a template for a hoodscoop that has mounting studs?
Fiberglass hood to fiberglass scoop.

Anyone have any pictures on how you made yours.
Working on a 64 Plymouth Belvedere.
Never mounted one before.
the rear of the hood is curved inward at the middle- the rear of the scoop is close enough as you want, measure side to side front and rear to center it.
your scoop has long studs, I used a magic marker with sharp point to circle the stud.an oversize hole is not a big deal. with where I placed the scoop I had to also drill larger holes om the webbing of the hood for access to the studs to attach the retaining nut. where it looks good to you is good enough..if you are making a hole/holes for air cleaners I used a piece of 11/4" USS stud and sharpened one end- trial fit til you can just close the hood-with a little interference, you can feel the point of the stud-tap gently with a mallet to mark the underside- then drill the center for the holes from that point.

If it has the side brackets like the one pictured above, it is mine and has a warranty

Well it definitely looks like yours and it is built almost perfect. Very little to no prep was needed. Going to try the tape on the hood and see if it all aligns. I will report back .

The 2 front studs are so long I can't get the side studs to touch the tape.
Guess I'll have to drill the 2 front holes 1st to get the others to drop down.

Auto Transport Service
Back