• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mallory Dual Point Timing Advance Question

Hankohop

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently running a Mallory 25 series dual point distributor. The car runs great with it, and it's been rock solid since scoring it from Carlisle this past summer. I'm just looking for some general pointers with setting mechanical timing from folks who are familiar with this platform.
It features a limiter plate similar to the original Chrysler distributors with sliding tabs to limit advance. I have it set to run from 18-34 degrees as of now, but getting it there took a few cracks as it was all done by estimating where the sliding tabs need to sit.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could fill me in on a better procedure for the next time I open it up. Everywhere I look turns up some results about different Mallory distributor series that use different methods to set total timing. I checked around this forum as well but maybe I missed something.

I believe there are some plastic keys you can buy (actually I know so as I bought a set from Summit). They are sort of like feeler gages for the slots. They will get you in the ball park but unless lucky you will probably still have to do a little trial and error.

I believe there are some plastic keys you can buy (actually I know so as I bought a set from Summit). They are sort of like feeler gages for the slots. They will get you in the ball park but unless lucky you will probably still have to do a little trial and error.

Awesome. But not awesome at the same time. Summit has it listed as "no longer available".
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29015

The eBay hunt begins.

I think it's all trial and error without specialty equipment anyway. Last time I relied on an FBO limiting plate to get me in the ballpark, but that obviously took a few cracks.

Oh well, thanks for the input!

Awesome. But not awesome at the same time. Summit has it listed as "no longer available".

Don't need no stinking plastic key! As long as you have a set of calipers:)
20180507_150103-png.png

20180512_213618-png.png

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...p-new-residence.114133/page-29#post-910959455

This is my Series 27. Don't know how simular the 25 is.

GTX, funny enough, I did pick up that set and it didn't fit the limiter plate in this distributor. I probably should have said that beforehand. Thanks for looking it up for me, though. I do appreciate that!
Kid, that's getting printed out. Thank you very much.

Auto Transport Service
Back