• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Transmission options for small block B body?

71Rat318

Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
Looking into different options for a manual transmission for my 71 Charger. I have a 318 bored .030 over, with a 360 crank, heads and intake. Not sure what I can bolt to it with minor modifications. Currently have an A904 in it that's factory. I've heard about the A833 and recently have come across the NP435, was curious if anyone here has had experience with the NP435. I read it's a truck transmission and really popular in the offroad community. Any input is great. Thanks

Did they turn the mains down on the crank? I've never heard of that.
It would be interesting to see someone hack one of those huge farm trannys into a muscle car.
Myself, I'd stick with the a 833

The problem with truck transmissions is most of them 1st gear is what they call granny gear. Extremely low. You end up with a 3 speed with a granny gear. I don't know about a NP435.

Did they turn the mains down on the crank? I've never heard of that.
It would be interesting to see someone hack one of those huge farm trannys into a muscle car.
Myself, I'd stick with the a 833
It's an interesting build, once it gets back from the shop I'm hoping to get pics and more info up.

The problem with truck transmissions is most of them 1st gear is what they call granny gear. Extremely low. You end up with a 3 speed with a granny gear. I don't know about a NP435.
I have a friend who used something similar to the NP435 (I think it was an SM 465) and said it may be a dog. Just wasn't sure if there were any better options that weren't super expensive (learning that almost everything mopar is super expensive)

Auto Transport Service
Back