• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Markel/Essentia Insurance Company (AKA Hagerty) Price Increase More Than $100 Over Last Year

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Last year after my former insurance company and agent retired I went with Hagerty and paid $620 for my 3 cars. This year I have to pay $743. I understand inflation but it's getting ridiculous, isn't it?

Last year after my former insurance company and agent retired I went with Hagerty and paid $620 for my 3 cars. This year I have to pay $743. I understand inflation but it's getting ridiculous, isn't it?
Yep, it's the old bait and switch. They will give you a good rate initially, then jack it up thinking most people won't even notice especially if they utilize automatic payments. Call them and bitch/threaten to switch and I guarantee they will provide you with a better rate!!!

I have seen/heard several people stating the same thing.

I sold one of our cars earlier this year. Assumed I'd get some money back - prorated and proportional (6 cars insured with them) of course. They sent me $7. Bend over and grab 'em...

Condon Skelly online quote is $779.61. So, I guess I'll go with Hagerty, again.

Hagerty Driver's Club went from $45 to $70. I buy it for the flat bed towing.

Condon Skelly online quote is $779.61. So, I guess I'll go with Hagerty, again.

Hagerty Driver's Club went from $45 to $70. I buy it for the flat bed towing.
After I went back and adjusted the Condon Skelly quote parameters to match my Hagerty policy I got a new quote for $659.33.

That's $80/year difference. What should I do?

So far it seems Modern has been holding firm on their rates. But you usually have to go through someone like Midwest Insurance or the Corvette National Museum Collectors Insurance to get a policy underwritten by Modern. There are many others who use them too. But my policy last renewed Mar 1 so it’s possible they will (or are) hiking rates too. My 2022 policy was $791 for 4 vehicles with a combined value around $200,000+/-. But this is in Ark.

After I went back and adjusted the Condon Skelly quote parameters to match my Hagerty policy I got a new quote for $659.33.

That's $80/year difference. What should I do?
Go with whichever company is not playing games and being shady with you.

If you think things are bad now (while you are obtaining quotes/rates) just wait until, and heaven forbid this ever happens to you, you become involved in an accident/have a claim... Then watch them try to bail/backpedal on you...

ALWAYS do business with honest folks/companies, even if they cost a little more. Good luck...

Last edited:
JCTaylor. No increase this year. Classic only. The others are with Hartford/AARP.

My hagerty policy only went up $2.00 this year from $426.00 to $428.00 for two cars.

I’ll watch it for next year.

Cliff Ramsdell

You should also try Grundy. I used them when I was in Minnesota. My buddy was the broker and indicated he had a number of classic carrier but they were his go to.

I'm curious how much value you're insuring? The guy I sold my car to has now switched to Haggerty and has the X insured for $70k. But I'm pretty sure he said his premium was around $600+ for the one car. Rather than choking on the price I gave him several options - of which I know he'll take none. He's a stubborn Swede and because of Haggertys rep and his having a little trouble a couple of years ago - he'll just keep swallowing the increases. Well it's his money and no longer my car but I just thought I'd give him one more heads up.

You should also try Grundy. I used them when I was in Minnesota. My buddy was the broker and indicated he had a number of classic carrier but they were his go to.

I'm curious how much value you're insuring? The guy I sold my car to has now switched to Haggerty and has the X insured for $70k. But I'm pretty sure he said his premium was around $600+ for the one car. Rather than choking on the price I gave him several options - of which I know he'll take none. He's a stubborn Swede and because of Haggertys rep and his having a little trouble a couple of years ago - he'll just keep swallowing the increases. Well it's his money and no longer my car but I just thought I'd give him one more heads up.
Around $110,000 for all 3 cars.

Get a quote from NCM Insurance. I left Hagerty years ago.

None of them are inexpensive. Values and prices of parts, labor and materials is through the roof. I have a friend who owns a custom shop. Builds 3 complete frame off cars a year and paints a couple a month. Paints a fair number of SEMA bound cars for other shops (Have paint gun will travel) kind of deal. In the spring he had a dual quad 409 that the owner got overzealous with while trying to start it after it sat all winter, car caught fire and burned into the dash. Hagerty had the policy and sent an adjuster. After about 45 minutes of discussion the adjuster asked what his repair estimate was. He says to the adjuster hey its your job to tell me what you think. Adjuster says I will just wanted to see what your opinion is. Buddy says around $100K adjuster says, "are you sure" buddy says give or take $10K. Adjuster says I think you are at least 30% LOW. But, I will write you a check for the $110K and if you need more just let me know I'll keep the estimate open. He showed me the check and asked what I thought. I said that I was glad that I was using Hagerty! It's worth it to me to pay $100 or so more a year for that kind of attitude!

$183.76 a year. JCTaylor, Upper Darby. $25k agreed on the R/T.

Auto Transport Service
Back