• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masking locations for jams firewall?

tvtn

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
My question is where and how do you mask areas that are shot before the final exterior paint stages? A friend and I just did an A body Dart and where we chose to break the paint doesn't look great since the final stage paint was mixed wrong. I need to get this right before I shoot my 69RR. Thanks for your input.
Tom

You should use the locations for Weather strip to hide the break offs. Then back tape teh sections to protect from Over spray. Do trunk, engine compartment under side first. Then Deck lid and hood off car. All seams window opening are great to section off. Use Body man paper "Green" with Green tape to cover these areas.

Remember wash, dry with alcohol wetted cloth, Wax and Grease remover alcohol and clean cloth again follow with tack cloth. Don't paint above 85 or below 55 F.

they have a soft mask . it's about 1/2" dia. foam with a sticky surface on one side you can put it in the door jams, trunk and under hood the round foam does not leave a hard tape line. it can be purchased at any auto paint store.

3m d a r t door aperture refinish tape, neatest thing since sliced bread! Leaves a nice soft edge that you can usually hand buff to finish off. Snakeoil said paint hood and deck lid off , good idea but,,,,,,, I wouldn't paint at different time as you can get 2 different shades out of the same can . That being said your work area has to be big enough to do that

Snakeoil
Thanks for the advice! If I hear you right you would paint hood and trunk lid off the car? How about metallics? The fat tape is a great Idea for the doors, my friend with the dart and I looked at the stuff at the paint store and passed because of cost, should have spent the money!!!! Thanks.
Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back