• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive explosion in local candy store..

A few edits on this thread, but all for typo's (myself included) and guys posting then adding pics or links.
Thanks cause I didn’t see anything posted making fun of what happened… That explosion was as serious as a heart attack…

Thanks cause I didn’t see anything posted making fun of what happened… That explosion was as serious as a heart attack…
Last night in the comments of a number of YT videos there were plenty of jackasses who thought they were funny.... They weren't... I'm guessing that's what Ed saw..

Hoping everyone who's missing is found alive... That was a huge explosion..

I am amazed at the total destruction. With 850 employees, I'm glad the casualty count was as low as it was. Maybe a lot of people weren't in the building at the time.

It could have been a dust that caused the explosion. I hope that the missing are found alive.

My Dad worked a ceiling tile manufacturing plant where a baking flour was used in production. Three welders got badly burned in a flour dust explosion and all three eventually died. I was not aware of just how dangerous flour dust can be. Prayers for all.

Working in the bulk transport business with flour and starch, saw numerous times how these materials can do horrendous damage. Starch in particular, because of fine particle size, provides easy ignition, devastating results in closed in spaces. I supervised, as well as performed, silo pump outs in candy factories, and proper grounding to prevent spark risk was always the first step of the process.

My prayers are with those families.
Speculation can run away with causes for this. The people saying drugs are off base. Palmer is a bigger company and an old one, this wasn't a little tourist shop.

Whenever I see this stuff lately my initial reaction is "furnace". New furnaces have critical parts made in China. In WI, exploding houses cases have gone up dramatically in the last 5 years. By that i mean, it went from mostly unheard of to sometimes more then one or two a season. We are told it was "gas leaks" and then locals let us know a new furnace was installed recently.
But again, speculation.

I've heard the same thing about dog food factories. The dust could be deadly with an open spark...stuff you don't think about or realize.

Now 3 dead, 5 missing.
As sad as that is and more than likely going to be 8. Although any loss of life is tragic, I would say that is amazingly low number of casualties due to the nature of this blast and the time of day… I have a friend who owns Kangen water down the street and she said she was in her back office it shook the whole building…

Last edited:
My Dad worked a ceiling tile manufacturing plant where a baking flour was used in production. Three welders got badly burned in a flour dust explosion and all three eventually died. I was not aware of just how dangerous flour dust can be. Prayers for all.

Grain elevator explosions are not uncommon. That said, I was shocked by the numbers when I googled it…

OSHA Summary of grain elevator explosions

A grain elevator exploded here in '75

davenport_ia_grain_elevator_blast_1975.jpg

In Middle town CT. 20 miles from my house they were working on a new natural gas plant. They were purging a NatGas line with NatGas leak test. Report said an open caused the explosion DUH, I heard the boom and looked at the time, never heard anything like that. The plant is in a low area with an open end toward my house. 6 dead 12 to the hospital some treated at the scene.

Just about any fine powder dust can assist in an explosion if a spark or ignition source is at hand.

A dust explosion or hot water valve blowing off could have triggered a gas leak and subsequent explosion. Doesn't take long for stuff to get real.

And the initial spark trigger could easily be static charge. Not just old Gerald having a smoke in the back

All 7 bodies recovered.

Auto Transport Service
Back