• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And our cars are gas hogs

Coronet 14

Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
When Someone tells you our cars are bad. Explain this to them
everything:

Hybrid Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

For all you hybrid lovers out there

This is not an article by a GM friendly writer, just a neutral
observer. This is something you won't hear in most of the biased press
that almost refuses to write anything bad about Toyota. Another fun
fact is that Toyota had more vehicles recalled last year than they
produced, and these were not minor repairs. In talking to a friend of
mine who runs a dealership, he talked to his local Toyota dealer, who
told him that the Toyota store hasn't had any time to do regular
customer repair work because all they are doing is recall work,
including new front ends, all new ball joints, etc. These have been
major repairs, that the press has chosen not to report on. Even the
other Japanese automakers are at a loss as to why Toyota seems to get
a free pass from the American press. Here is a story worth reading
about the Prius.

Interesting Article from Connecticut State University:

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage By Chris Demorro Staff
Writer The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our
society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a
premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them,
their ultimate 'green car' is the source of some of the worst
pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to
produce than a Hummer.

Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first
understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular
hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.

The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76
horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a
battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping
295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially,
the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car
from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of
gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more
energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is
recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline
engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great
energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?

You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates,
which netted the Prius an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city
and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the
government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which
consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only
3.3 mph per second. The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a
much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and
acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius's EPA down
by 25 per cent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within
spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then
half what the Prius costs.

However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn't be
writing this article. It gets much worse.

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer
that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already
noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel.
The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This
plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding
environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to
test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for
miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius' battery
and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the
plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario,
becoming every en vironmentalist's nightmare. "The acid rain around
Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down
off the hillside," said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David
Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey
to make a hybrid doesn't end there. The nickel produced by this
disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest
nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China
to produce 'nickel foam.' From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the
completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the
around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery.
Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars
and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven't even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and
build a Toyota Prius, th e flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes
almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius's arch
nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called "Dust to Dust," the total
combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel,
transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other
factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an
average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles -
the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to
put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That
means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use
less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius.
Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota
Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the
road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo
and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium
price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any
money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

:rofl:

Interesting. Although I don't have a Prius, I have to wonder why so many of the taxi fleets around here are composed of the Prius. Cars that the drivers pay for and fuel, and love to use because after 200,000 miles they've saved so much gas money and the original brake shoes are about ready to be replaced. I've talked to some of the drivers about it, and the only car they've had that was more reliable (always ready to use and not in the shop every week like the Impala) was the Crown Victoria, but again the fuel economy was the deciding factor to go with Prius.

Any time Greenpeace starts complaining, I'm not that impressed anyway. And while Sudbury did at one time have a lot of sulfur emissions and environmental problems, they have done much in the past decades. The exaggerations of the 'dead zone' was a myth: true there was stunted vegetation from high acid levels, but some grasses and birch were always there. Could it have been better? Sure it could, and that's why thousands of trees are planted every year. Grown in the old mine shafts where it's warmer, they get transplanted every spring.

I DID know a couple of Hummer enthusiasts, but they couldn't afford the gas to ever get near the 300,000 miles that those vehicles are meant for. I'm sure that if they were actually cheaper to own and operate than a Prius, Hummer wouldn't have kept it a secret from the taxi companies.

To disclose, there is a hybrid in my driveway. My wife's RX400H is her pride and joy. Wanting a mid sized SUV, this suits her fine. Getting 26 mpg in a 4500 lb. vehicle with 0-60 in 7 seconds suits her fine too. We didn't get it because it was a hybrid, we got it because it accelerated much better than the gas only version.

This reminds me of my thread from last summer http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...ssion-today-Me-vs-Prius-Owner&highlight=prius

Also I'm originally from Sudbury Ontario. (My dad is retired from the Nickel refinery they speak of) And they're not wrong that whole area was so barren they had to decipher how to grow grass on rock to re-green. To agree with Photon it has improved immensely in the last 30 years and you can't compare what it use to be even to when they started manufacturing the Prius so I wouldn't hold that as an arguement

Last edited:
I should not post my comments.

I am going to my nearest B.P. station and fill my pick-up after this....also; :director:
in 14 years and 180,000mi ....all I have serviced is oil & filter change @ 3,000 mi...
a muffler, and rear leaf spring broke and rear shocks.......14YEARS!!!!!

22 mi per gal.......or---->25 if I drive like a Prius owner & mope at 33 mi per hour on freeway

Interesting. Although I don't have a Prius, I have to wonder why so many of the taxi fleets around here are composed of the Prius.

When I was working for Ford, they came out with the Hybrid Escape that was supposed to be a big seller. When the Ford rep came to present data on the vehicle to our dealership, the red flags went up when he said the vehicles got excellent mileage as long as you don't use the environmental systems very much as they suck up all the battery power and you end up running on that pissly little gas engine all the time and that tanks the mileage. This was a known problem but Ford didn't consider it a major issue because people don't run these systems but for a few months each year. We told him that Florida drivers run their A/C 10-11 months out of the year!!!

Needless to say, we never sold a single Hybrid Escape to a customer, nor did anyone else around here, but Ford did manage to sell them to taxi companies in big cities because most of the driving these vehicles do is in stop and go traffic conditions and at low speeds. With the regenerative braking systems hybrids have, heat from the brake pads is converted to energy and used to charge the batteries, so if you're driving at 20-30 MPH, and constantly using the brakes, you can drive a hybrid all day and not burn a drop of gas, which is probably why they're using Priuses up where you are.

i find it kinda funny how people can twist words to make it sound true.our cars have plenty of toxic elements in them as well.comparing apples to apples,what do you think the enviromental impact is of creating our batterys?the hummer would go through about 1 battery every 2.5 years of its life.i never give any attention to statements like the one made .

I will probably never drive a hybrid in my lifetime. I do know for a fact that I will never drive a Toyota in my life, I have never liked Toyota's and given all the problems they've been having lately adds fire to my argument about how cheap and poorly made they really are. I'd drive a Nissan any day over a Toy, or a Yo. or a Ta! jmho

Somebody mentioned that they could not afford the gas to go 300,000 miles in a Hummer. Heck my Hummer H1 gets a steady 14mpg, my wife's GMC Envoy gets less than that, averages about 12 mpg on a good day. She spends more money on fuel than I do.

Well, if our gas mileage sucks, that's our problem. The environmental impact from classic cars is relatively insignificant. I don't have the data in front of me, but this article illustrates some interesting points, one of which is "to emit the same amount of CO as using a snowblower for 1 hour, one would have to drive 305 miles"

So, maybe Prius owners should be going around and yelling at gardeners and lumberjacks first, before us?

well, if our gas mileage sucks, that's our problem. The environmental impact from classic cars is relatively insignificant. I don't have the data in front of me, but this article illustrates some interesting points, one of which is "to emit the same amount of co as using a snowblower for 1 hour, one would have to drive 305 miles"

so, maybe prius owners should be going around and yelling at gardeners and lumberjacks first, before us?

:iamwithstupid: LOL... Wow I didn't know, it seems Canada has some serious environmental issues, to have to deal with now, all because of the Hybrid push {nickel produced there}, by a bunch of countries govt.'s, kill the planet for the sake of a big $$$ grab in green energy con job... Hummmm isn't that a little counter productive... No thanks not for me, maybe for all them tree huggers that think they are saving the earth, because they drive a hybrid... my $0.02 cents

Toyota Prius is a great concept, but it is not original. The American who created the concept is Victor Wouk who took a '72 Buick Skylark and made the first real hybrid car with it, real genius.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/12/national/12wouk.html

Regenerative braking is where these cars shine. Commuting long distances or up and down hills/mtns (like Denver area) is not really its strong suit. For taxi cabs though it's a no-brainer to go with a hybrid design.

The Chevy Volt is a better setup for highway commuters because you can primarily use an electric motor and supplement with the gas motor to extend the range.

All of these designs have their place and shouldn't be spurned for being efficient or popular/unpopular.

Hey guys i have a 1969 Coronet 500 383 4bbl 3spd. auto console do i have the Dana 44?

Auto Transport Service
Back