• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master cylinder hanging up.

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
I disconnected the old single pot master today. I went into the car and pulled the brake pedal backwards, and felt the pushrod pop out of the master. I then removed the four nuts under the dashboard holding the master, and my hands look like mincemeat. When I went under the hood and tried to pull the master out it seems to be hung up. Is there something else I need to remove, or could the studs just be jammed in the support plate?

IMG_20230409_142137035_HDR.jpg

Should just be the studs.
Just rip it out.

Thanks Don, I tried to pull it and pry it but it wasn't budging, then I had to take a break. Lying under the dash made my vertigo flare up. Hopefully I can get it out from under the hood tomorrow. I'm not ready to go back under the dash again.

Just whack it with a soft hammer.
I hope your vertigo improves, an awful ailment.

Already whacked it with a rubber hammer a few times, but hard to get much of a swing at it. I took a couple of gravol and rested and am feeling better, thanks. I'll try again tomorrow.

OK I hate to admit it but I got back under the dash today and found the problem. I knew I had removed the 4 nuts. Turned out I removed one of the nuts for the reinforcement plate and left the passenger bottom nut on the master. Needless to say when I was prying on the master I bent the corner of the bracket. Oh well, I took the rest of the nuts off and now I can detail the reinforcement plate and paint the firewall underneath where leaking brake fluid had messed up the paint. I guess I am used to working on A bodies without the plate. That is my excuse and I am sticking with it.

I have already mocked up the new master and adapter plate. I used a universal bracket to mount the adjustable proportioning valve directly underneath the master.

IMG_20230417_190055408.jpg

I got the firewall straightened out and used a series of spacers and washers to pull the inner support bracket back into shape. I then cleaned up the rust under the old master and gave it a shot of paint.

IMG_20230514_144502804.jpg

IMG_20230514_150143874.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back