• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching and Making Patina - anyone done it?

Clear coating over rust works of you live in a low humidity part of the country like Arizona, but here in Florida it will rust faster and will start looking like you pulled it out of a swamp. No thanks! I would give it a nice oem paint job. Then in 50 years or so, it will fade into the look you desire. LOL!

Clear coating over rust works of you live in a low humidity part of the country like Arizona, but here in Florida it will rust faster and will start looking like you pulled it out of a swamp. No thanks! I would give it a nice oem paint job. Then in 50 years or so, it will fade into the look you desire. LOL!
I appreciate your comments but I am not going to paint this car. I will drive as "patches" before that.

Instead of clear coat maybe try the product "Sweet Patina" first. I've never used it but if you like patina it may give you the look your going for for low effort/ money.

Instead of clear coat maybe try the product "Sweet Patina" first. I've never used it but if you like patina it may give you the look your going for for low effort/ money.
I looked it up, looks pretty interesting.

We've done this a few times at one of the shops I do work for. Cars that had cool patina but needed patching or small panel replacement. It's not an exact science so there's no set directions or guarantee on how to get it right 1st shot that I know of. It's an arts & crafts style trial-and-error thing sometimes. You can try a red oxide primer but you may have more luck finding a redish brown paint for matching the primer you have and you'll have to try several colors of blue before you find something that will dust on and look similar to your blue. To make the color match and not look like new paint we sprayed pretty dry and too far off to not get a shine, dusting it on. Then we used scuff pads by hand to cut through the paint to the "primer" and feather the edges out to look believable. You can try DA but you'll have a lot less control and more likely cut all the way through in spots. You just want to experiment with it and go slow. Hard to explain but I hope it helps.

We've done this a few times at one of the shops I do work for. Cars that had cool patina but needed patching or small panel replacement. It's not an exact science so there's no set directions or guarantee on how to get it right 1st shot that I know of. It's an arts & crafts style trial-and-error thing sometimes. You can try a red oxide primer but you may have more luck finding a redish brown paint for matching the primer you have and you'll have to try several colors of blue before you find something that will dust on and look similar to your blue. To make the color match and not look like new paint we sprayed pretty dry and too far off to not get a shine, dusting it on. Then we used scuff pads by hand to cut through the paint to the "primer" and feather the edges out to look believable. You can try DA but you'll have a lot less control and more likely cut all the way through in spots. You just want to experiment with it and go slow. Hard to explain but I hope it helps.
That absolutely helps, thank you.

I appreciate your comments but I am not going to paint this car. I will drive as "patches" before that.

My truck's name is Patches and I drive it every day.... :p

jUJiZpzh.jpg

I just leave the Patina alone on my Roached Runner and let it continue to get worse or better. Depending how you look at it.

20210530_123448.jpg

20210530_123505.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to get my 71 into the shop soon and begin the build in earnest. I am going to mock it up and see what it looks like, perhaps I will post a pic on here to get some opinions. I am definitely leaning towards leaving it a long with multiple colors but I am also interested in trying out the patina matching just for my own enjoyment.

I am building a 71 Charger that was originally B5, however now it has a red passenger fender, black (EDP) drivers side quarter skin, black (EDP) drivers side lower quarter patch and a EDP air grabber hood. I would like to try and match the existing faded B5 patina that is on the rest of the car if possible.

I am thinking that I would need to paint the red fender and EDP panels the same manner which the car was originally painted and then patina them is some fashion.

My other option is to just leave the mismatched panels as they are and roll with that which I would rather not do. The objective is to have the car look "field fresh" however it will have a new interior along with a new 5.7 Hemi and TKX trans. The engine compartment, interior and trunk will all be new and nice, I am going to paint the engine compartment with B5 as well probably inside the trunk and perhaps the door jams.

Just for clarity, I am not asking "if" I should do this I am asking for advice on "how" to do it.

View attachment 1328828

View attachment 1328829

View attachment 1328830

View attachment 1328831
Patina is cool, but i would shoot it in a semi , or flat B5. I don't hate patina, but I can't get into it.

Ok i will toss my 2 cents in.
If you do not care how the charger looks....
Why care how it looks ?
Faux this and fake patina that, clearing over rust ect.
Just bolt the car together and drive it. That Edp will rust soon enough.
:drinks:

I think Chris Birdsong has a video on his junker up channel on YouTube about this

Ok i will toss my 2 cents in.
If you do not care how the charger looks....
Why care how it looks ?
Faux this and fake patina that, clearing over rust ect.
Just bolt the car together and drive it. That Edp will rust soon enough.
:drinks:
Thats pretty much what I am going to do.

Auto Transport Service
Back