• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max HP/TQ a 8.75 can handle

greenmachine

Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if my 8.75 is worth putting a tru-trac in to vs. saving up for a dana 60. My car is 95% a street car with 285's and a 440 making around 500 HP, 600 TQ. I don't beat on my cars (too much), but don't want to waste money if I am just going to blow up the rear end. I have a mini-spool in it now.

An 8 3/4 can handle quite a beating. It's hard to put a HP or TQ number on it I suppose it all depends on the driver. I know racers that pull consistent 9's with an 8 3/4 with no issues. If you leave the line hard,I would recommend a Dana 60. I have a 489 case 8 3/4 with 550 HP and no issues at all.

I knew of a HEMI Challenger with a nasty engine that ran a 727 8.75 drivetrain. No problems. Was an 11 second car. 8.75 tougher than you think.

The Tru-trac is a good performing tough unit...I got one comped to me by the shop after having issues with two powr-lok diffs (475-500hp 440) and it works well. That said, the weak point is typically not the diff but the gear teeth and axles, 8.75s can handle plenty when built properly but the answer is always, if you can get a Dana, do it..

8 3/4 are pretty tough for street use and are lighter than a D~60, I would still plan on new axel's & ARP wheel studs, D~60 is stronger.

Hard to believe you'll break that axle on the street, I'd like to think your tires will break loose before 1st .... truetracs are great, I'm running 4 of them currently with zero complaints

Once you go Dana you never look back......

8.75 can handle a lot of abuse in the street.....

It just falls into your budget.....

ok. Will run the 8.75 until I leave parts in the street, then fix it with a dana 60. Thanks guys!

My general rule of thumb has been to run a Dana if you have slicks, hardened axles, etc. Unless you put some type of "track tire" on your car, I believe you'll be just fine with a 8-3/4"

I've run 8 3/4 in 11.0@ 3800 lb cars with slicks without failure for years, multiple cars. Add weight or power and then you start to get into no mans land.
Doug

Last edited:
I'm have 1000 miles on trutrack in my 8 3/4 on the street, approx 550hp, and 575 tq.

Auto Transport Service
Back