• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge Experts? Wheels?

MoparGod

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
I have some wheels that are supposed to be original Max Wedge Wheels. They are 15 X 5.5", Part number 2409857. Are these the real deal?

I have some wheels that are supposed to be original Max Wedge Wheels. They are 15 X 5.5", Part number 2409857. Are these the real deal?

Did Max Wedges have 15" wheels?? The 1966 Hemi cars had 14" X 5.5" from the factory. I don't beleive they had 15" on Hemi cars until 1968.

My recollection is 14X6" wheels with 7.75-14 tires on MW cars. I don't think 14X7's and 8.00/8.25 tires were available. I also don't recall 15" wheels even being available. I'll check on that tomorrow;no reference right by me. You may want to check Greg Lane's Max Wedge/Race Hemi site,or the 62-65 Mopar site. Good info there too.

wheels

From what Ive read,14" x 5,
14 x5 1/2 and 6 1/2 were offered,
15" were offered in 65 for rear of car only!

Mine had 14x5.5 with a 7:75 tire'wheels were original equip.but the tires were not when I bought the car!

My 63 came with 14x5.5, i think Dodge expected that the wheels and tires would be replaced

If anyone finds out what they fit let me know! Thanks for all the responses!

Wheels for max wedge cars. Why is this so hard for the guessing.
"My recollection is 14X6" wheels with 7.75-14 tires on MW cars." Not correct
"NO THEY had 14 x 6's on them. " Wrong
From what Ive read,14" x 5, 14 x5 1/2 and 6 1/2 were offered, Now we are on track.

The answer is all in factory literature and parts book. The performance package came with 14 x 5.5H wheels and Optional on rear were 14 x 6.5.

14 x6 was a Chrysler wheel. Dont forget that the standard wheel on a 6cyl or 318 model would have been a 5", but a 4 bl car could have come with 5.5" wheels, and anything seemed to be able to be ordered.
I do not know the answer the 1965 choice of 15" wheel on a hemi car.

So how do you ID a real max wedge/ hemi wheel? I found a 14x 5.5", but no numbers??

So how do you ID a real max wedge/ hemi wheel? I found a 14x 5.5", but no numbers??

To ID the width of a wheel without removing it or having the big caliper measuring tool, it is next to the valve stem and usually reads 5 then the valve stem hole then another 5 for 5.5".

If you remove the tire from the wheel on the inside of the rim there will be a par number but I don't know what it is for the max wedge wheel. Likely it was the standard or optional wheel for a police car and an optional wheel on C bodies for things like trailer towing. I would bet that the wheel became available in the early 60s and was the same through 1967 with the same part number and was used for the Hemi cars as well.

The "Hemi Suspension" beginning in 1969 is just the police suspension that had been available for several years earlier, but marketing decided it sure sounded cooler to call it Hemi Suspension when adding it to axle packages.

Many of you may not be aware of this website but it has a library on it that has many of the Dealer Data & Color and Upholstery Books that have been purchased, scanned, and added to that site. One of our members here (Doug Hammer) 69CoronetRT has contributed a lot to this site.

Take the time to find the books that apply to year car you have if you are interested in how these car came from the factory as standard and with options. If you really study it and some of the packages you will see how a lot of the hipo options were robbed from the police cars list. I was just looking at the 1968 trailer towing package and it shows 5.5" wide wheels as standard and this was in the B body section so they would be 14" diameter.

After you look at it and realize how much time, effort and money was spent on it give a big thank you to Doug and the others that made all of this info available. If you read it religiously you too can be a Mopar OEM "expert."

Here is the link to the site where I last looked at it. Once you are one it go to the home page to see all that is on the site.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1967DealershipDataBook-02.shtml

To ID the width of a wheel without removing it or having the big caliper measuring tool, it is next to the valve stem and usually reads 5 then the valve stem hole then another 5 for 5.5".
[/url]

Ok, that is exactly what my wheel has - the 5, vavle stem hole, and 5. If anyone wants it, make an offer!

Thanks for the information too!!

Im looking for 2 of those 15x5.5 ? are they for sale?

My 63 came with 14x5.5, i think Dodge expected that the wheels and tires would be replaced

My max wedge lightweight was ordered with 14x7.50 white walls and wheel covers and the wheels are stamped 14x5.5"

Attachments

• fender tag decode 1964 dodge 330..JPG
    fender tag decode 1964 dodge 330..JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 376
  • fling photo shoot3.jpg
    fling photo shoot3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 335
Auto Transport Service
Back