• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measuring hood clearance 73 RR

73RR4SPD

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
How do I measure to see how much hood clearance I need with the engine out of the car? The engine is on a stand in my garage along with the power bulge hood and a flat satty hood. The car is in the body shop.

I think I’m asking the impossible here but I thought I would ask just in case I’m missing something.

I’ve got a 440 with Victor heads and single plane Victor intake manifold…this posed hood clearance issues so instead of hacking my 73 factory bulge hood I picked up a satty flat hood and put an A body dual snorkel hood scoop on it. I drove it for a several years like that but now that the car’s getting body and paint done, I’d really like to go with my bulge hood painted satin black and red nostrils. Is there anyway I can make this hood work? Someone mentioned that I could try a fibreglass bulge hood from US body (has about 3 more inches hood clearance than steel hood) but the reviews aren’t good on that company (granted the reviews are 10 yrs old). So if I’m still SOL with the bulge hood, I was thinking of replacing the dual snorkel with a six pack scoop with satin black flat satty hood? I’d like to get your opinions on which would look and feel right for my car. I uploaded a pic of my car with dual snorkel before going into the body shop.

I hope everyone’s doing well during these strange strange times.

1294E3EA-08A2-4DA0-BB4A-3CA8328C54DB.jpeg

Grab some aluminum foil, make it into a ball that’s not tightly squeezed, put it where you think you’ve got clearance issues and close the hood. Open it back up and measure the thickness. That’s your clearance.

Grab some aluminum foil, make it into a ball that’s not tightly squeezed, put it where you think you’ve got clearance issues and close the hood. Open it back up and measure the thickness. That’s your clearance.
Thanks for the tip, however, the engine is not in the car right now. The hood o decide to go with will be getting painted soon but the engine won’t go in until the car’s back in my garage.

Auto Transport Service
Back