• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Media blast ?'s

dla4567

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Had my fenders media blasted inside and out. The inside and around the edges the surface is rough and the outside is much smoother like they used different media on the rough stuff, is this normal? If I would have noticed when I picked them up I would have asked. You can see the difference in the pics. I'm going to have some stuff done at another media blaster, I'm trying to see who does good work before I have my good car done. I've heard horror stories of warped panels and other damage.

DSC02823.JPG

DSC02826.JPG

DSC02827.JPG

You are correct, they did use different media. With me, I like to make everything uniform in appearance so the questions don't come up. Also, these fenders and cars we deal with (upwards of 80% of all my cars I do are MOPARS) are hitting 4 decades! Their will be rust. The rust has to come off.

These are well done fenders. Yes, panels can warp, I know, I admit it, I've warped the crap out of them before...can't hide from that, but, they were aluminum, and filled with Bondo, not warping those baby's was an impossibility. Now, if I get the same stuff in, I charge double, because I chemically remove the Bondo before blasting, use much finer Acrylic plastic media.

Warping steel fenders/doors/panels can be done, if you are a real bone head; very high; too high air pressure, and a media like sand will and can mess up things.

Again, good looking fenders! I say he did a good job on them.

Thanx for the input. They have been in business for 25 years and there was 20 to 30 cars in there shop. They also do full restorations and I've seen some of the cars they have done, very very nice.I just wish there prices were a bit lower. I'm going to have everything on my Coronet done, you just can't beat that media blasting for a clean slate to start a restoration with.

Thanx, Don

You are so correct, when I see people working a new engine into a non-media blasted body I cringe because they need to know what they are dealing with before starting. A DA sander will not expose weak areas in the metal, nor will they come completely clean. It's money well spent in my realm. Oh yeah, FYI Fenders are the worst to clean up; they take many hits over the years, they have the most irregular applications of undercoating, and, there are many areas that get crud into that cause damages -- when this year is out, my pricing on Fenders is heading north by a few degrees!

This is an open invitation for anyone to pick my brain asking me anything pro or con about Media Blasting.

I go thru, rather, have been going through one Shop Vac every 8-12 months! I just ruined my 2nd LOWE'S 16 gal, 6.5 HP SHOP-VAC, the motor burned up on me this morning! The push button On/Off was murder; media particles got stuck in this insane button arrangement, and, I'm tired of plastic buckets, they flex too much, and the hoses kink up too fast. So, I'm going to buy me this in the morning to clean out the Dart with before delivering it. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...d=10053&zip=78108&storeId=10051&distance_1=10

I really stepped up my game today; I was able to blast for 4.5 hrs straight, nearly got it all done too, but, when I start sweating in the Air Conditioned Blast Helmet, time to call it quits.

Does anyone have this Shop Vac offered by Home Depot? I like the tallness, and it's made out of steel, or stainless steel. I also like the On/Off lever, no buttons! And, if anyone has this model; how's it work? Actually, I should be the one reviewing Shop Vacs as I am sure I subject them to some of the most demanding uses ever!

Auto Transport Service
Back