• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meep-Meep's 69 meep-meep

Looking Good, your pictures look like you have done a lot of blocking. I bet about 300+ hours worth, my arms hurt just thinking about it. The Red looks great!!

Thanks all :yes: The car is a real RM23 air grabber, 4 spd console, light package and colors - including the hood stripes.

Progress is slow these days because of work and my Ranchero getting emergency rust repairs to the cowel. Once I get it back on the road I will hope to be throwing parts at the 69 :grin:

I can't take credit on the body for this car (other than the rust repair pictured). This was a total garage job done by a couple of older guys. They done good for a couple of boat builders! The chief sander is this skinny 70 yr old dude who used to work in a body shop some years ago. Who says old guys are good for nothin'?? Not me!!

I think I saw your pictures of my cars twin, or sister as you say. That would be so cool to have a matching pair!! I just wish I had the Leno garage to keep them all in!!!

Just a quick background story about this car for anyone interested. I first spotted this car in about 1982 or so and it was complete but missing the engine (383 car). I had just bought my white 68 RR complete but not running, with extra engine and parts including an air grabber hood, for $450.00 and not only did I not have the money to buy the 69, I thought the asking price of $900.00 or $1000.00 was way out of line for a car with no engine. Knowing the car had to be saved I did the next best thing and that was to tell my buddy about it. He had a real job and had money so he bought it and got it running. Larry drove it around for a while and at some point decided it should be a parts car for his green plane-jane 69 RR :Groaner: The doors and hood went on the green car and then it was painted yellow.

After that disaster I lost track of Larry and the car for maybe 20 yrs but about three years ago I drove to Larry's old house just for the heck of it. I did not find Larry but had a nice conversation with the new owner of the house. At one point during the conversation he said "...And Larry's old red Dodge is in James' back yard" As he is pointing across the street!! I wrapped up that conversation and looked over the fence and there it was!!!!

I finally got in touch with James and he remembered me and my 68 from back then! This is starting to be like a family reunion! Anyway, it took some doing but I eventually got the car from James. I only wish it was as complete as I first saw it back in 82! I have more in replacing the missing console than the the guy wanted for the car back then :black_eye: Yeah, welcome to the day and age where everyone has figured out that MoPars are cool and the stuff I used to sell for $20.00 or throw away cost as much as a beater 4 dr Dart did back then. At least the body panels were there. Somehow the original doors ended up back on the car (yellow paint over original R4 and under some rattle can orange to hide the yellow). Also James found a hood but no air grabber. The 77 440 that was installed was out of another old friends car from the 80's.

Appropriately so, I am building this car as a tribute to the good 'ol days and old friends. Darn near every part on it - including the car itself - is traceable to me or one of my buddies from back then. Larry's car, my 426 Max Wedge block, my HEMI 4 spd and air grabber hood, my Dana 60 and Mike's 440 six pack setup. I recently found Larry and showed him the car. He was quite amazed and happy it was going back together. I also chewed him out for using it as a parts car!!

Thanks all :yes: The car is a real RM23 air grabber, 4 spd console, light package and colors - including the hood stripes.

Progress is slow these days because of work and my Ranchero getting emergency rust repairs to the cowel. Once I get it back on the road I will hope to be throwing parts at the 69 :grin:

I can't take credit on the body for this car (other than the rust repair pictured). This was a total garage job done by a couple of older guys. They done good for a couple of boat builders! The chief sander is this skinny 70 yr old dude who used to work in a body shop some years ago. Who says old guys are good for nothin'?? Not me!!

I think I saw your pictures of my cars twin, or sister as you say. That would be so cool to have a matching pair!! I just wish I had the Leno garage to keep them all in!!!

Just a quick background story about this car for anyone interested. I first spotted this car in about 1982 or so and it was complete but missing the engine (383 car). I had just bought my white 68 RR complete but not running, with extra engine and parts including an air grabber hood, for $450.00 and not only did I not have the money to buy the 69, I thought the asking price of $900.00 or $1000.00 was way out of line for a car with no engine. Knowing the car had to be saved I did the next best thing and that was to tell my buddy about it. He had a real job and had money so he bought it and got it running. Larry drove it around for a while and at some point decided it should be a parts car for his green plane-jane 69 RR :Groaner: The doors and hood went on the green car and then it was painted yellow.

After that disaster I lost track of Larry and the car for maybe 20 yrs but about three years ago I drove to Larry's old house just for the heck of it. I did not find Larry but had a nice conversation with the new owner of the house. At one point during the conversation he said "...And Larry's old red Dodge is in James' back yard" As he is pointing across the street!! I wrapped up that conversation and looked over the fence and there it was!!!!

I finally got in touch with James and he remembered me and my 68 from back then! This is starting to be like a family reunion! Anyway, it took some doing but I eventually got the car from James. I only wish it was as complete as I first saw it back in 82! I have more in replacing the missing console than the the guy wanted for the car back then :black_eye: Yeah, welcome to the day and age where everyone has figured out that MoPars are cool and the stuff I used to sell for $20.00 or throw away cost as much as a beater 4 dr Dart did back then. At least the body panels were there. Somehow the original doors ended up back on the car (yellow paint over original R4 and under some rattle can orange to hide the yellow). Also James found a hood but no air grabber. The 77 440 that was installed was out of another old friends car from the 80's.

Appropriately so, I am building this car as a tribute to the good 'ol days and old friends. Darn near every part on it - including the car itself - is traceable to me or one of my buddies from back then. Larry's car, my 426 Max Wedge block, my HEMI 4 spd and air grabber hood, my Dana 60 and Mike's 440 six pack setup. I recently found Larry and showed him the car. He was quite amazed and happy it was going back together. I also chewed him out for using it as a parts car!!

LOL great story , thanks for saving another one and it will mean so much more to you now that you have . :yes::yes::yes:

Very good work! :sSig_goodjob:
Show us more pictures of your work!!!

Great Story. I remember in the late 70's early 80's when so many of our type cars were parted or crushed. Good to see ya save another. Good luck finishing it up. Dan

Billy, thanks. I'm hoping to drive it to Spring Fling in Van Nuys this coming May. I still have to build the engine and trans, slap some brakes on it and put glass and interior in after the painter fixes some minor problems. My problem is time.

Dan, I have a confession to make. Me and a buddy sent a 70 R/T S/E Charger rolling body to the junk yard after stripping it for parts. Hey, it was the early 80's and we paid $200.00 for it. What did we know; we were just stupid 19 yr olds.

Billy, thanks. I'm hoping to drive it to Spring Fling in Van Nuys this coming May. I still have to build the engine and trans, slap some brakes on it and put glass and interior in after the painter fixes some minor problems. My problem is time.

Dan, I have a confession to make. Me and a buddy sent a 70 R/T S/E Charger rolling body to the junk yard after stripping it for parts. Hey, it was the early 80's and we paid $200.00 for it. What did we know; we were just stupid 19 yr olds.

Don't feel bad Alex , I got so much blood on my hands it's not even funny, I have parted probably 60 of 70 Mopars, some of these were original Big Block Muscle cars, not grandmas 318 grocery getter either , I sleep at night by thinking the ones than were sacrificed help save others. but I wish I would have saved some of them, one in particular was a B5 69 Hemi Charger, back in the late 70s early 80s, It had a big old ugly trailer hitch on the back, they used it to pull a boat , need I say more.

Don't feel bad Alex , I got so much blood on my hands it's not even funny, I have parted probably 60 of 70 Mopars, some of these were original Big Block Muscle cars, not grandmas 318 grocery getter either , I sleep at night by thinking the ones than were sacrificed help save others. but I wish I would have saved some of them, one in particular was a B5 69 Hemi Charger, back in the late 70s early 80s, It had a big old ugly trailer hitch on the back, they used it to pull a boat , need I say more.

tell me about it guys, i cringe at some of the stories my dad tells me. For one he traded a bright red 340 challenger (drivable condition, needed a resto) for our lawn mower, just to put it into prospective, let's say i'd rather have the car and i'd cut the whole lawn with a pair of scissors. O and then the guy he traded it to totaled it :mad::mad:

tell me about it guys, i cringe at some of the stories my dad tells me. For one he traded a bright red 340 challenger (drivable condition, needed a resto) for our lawn mower, just to put it into prospective, let's say i'd rather have the car and i'd cut the whole lawn with a pair of scissors. O and then the guy he traded it to totaled it :mad::mad:

OUCH ! That must have hurt !

Oh the pain! (to quote a famous goofy doctor).

Sooooo.....who wants to start the thread about how many and what kind of cars we sent to the scrapper?

I just found this old thread I started about my 69 RR. Man, this has been a while and not much progress! Time to dig out a few recent pics and post them.

I just found this old thread I started about my 69 RR. Man, this has been a while and not much progress! Time to dig out a few recent pics and post them.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy! Looking forward to it brother

Thanks for sharing Meep, very cool looking bird "my favorite color on b bodies especially with the stripes".

Auto Transport Service
Back