• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Messed up Part Numbers

cinciaz

Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could explain this. I have a 1971 Charger I am converting to disc brakes. I got steering knucles off a 1972 charger that i got a Desert Vally Auto Parts. Good place to get old stuff. part numbers 2535692 and 2535693. The correct part numbers should be 2535694 and 2535695. Can anybody explain this. The 70,71,and 72 should all be the same according to the part books.

I was wondering if anyone could explain this. I have a 1971 Charger I am converting to disc brakes. I got steering knucles off a 1972 charger that i got a Desert Vally Auto Parts. Good place to get old stuff. part numbers 2535692 and 2535693. The correct part numbers should be 2535694 and 2535695. Can anybody explain this. The 70,71,and 72 should all be the same according to the part books.
Casting numbers are not always the part number.

Casting numbers are not always the part number.
I dont believe thay are casting numbers

IMG_8064.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

They are "casting" numbers. As they are cast into the forging. It's possible the part number comes after the spindle is machined.... otherwise inventory control would be a nightmare.

Just like an engine block casting number is not the final part number.

They are "casting" numbers. As they are cast into the forging. It's possible the part number comes after the spindle is machined.... otherwise inventory control would be a nightmare.

Just like an engine block casting number is not the final part number.
OK thanks I will try to look elswhere for a part number on the spindle

OK thanks I will try to look elswhere for a part number on the spindle
I'm doubtful you'll find that. It's like when I was injection moulding seat belt parts for TRW and Bendix. The metal insert got a "part number", say 47605 and the finished overmoulded part got another part number, usually one or two digits higher, say 47607.

Auto Transport Service
Back