• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal work 60k too much?

DartProject62

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a 74 Challenger and was going to drop it off at a very reputable metalworks shop in Washington state. They said I was looking at 60k for the metalwork alone.

Is this a crazy figure? I was thinking 45k should be enough for body/paint, not metalwork alone.

The car is intended to be a daily driver, any recommendations for body shops from Washington to Colorado?

F7F76917-39BC-463E-9687-7EB89A1E662A.jpeg

265AB05A-7CA7-412F-8777-D41E2A22B58F.jpeg

AB6EFFBA-BAF1-47EC-AA02-2D7BFFB7CC03.jpeg

EB55BFEF-C375-4FF5-AB8E-7D2778F36106.jpeg

Tough to say as there are not enough details... Does it need floorpans, firewall, cowl, engine pans and framerails?

60K for metalwork, maybe 20K for paint, 15k for interior. Would the car bring half of that when finished ? I'm thinking you need to shop around for another body shop. It's possible that the bodyshop you checked caters to the high end crowd.

Tough to say as there are not enough details... Does it need floorpans, firewall, cowl, engine pans and framerails?
Off the cuff, floor pans, around the windows, lower quarters, hood, trunk lid but everything else “looks” good

Off the cuff, floor pans, around the windows, lower quarters, hood, trunk lid but everything else “looks” good
If that's it then that's the get out here I don't want to do it price UNLESS you pay this amount....

Get a welder,pratice on scrap metal,and do the metal work yourself. All the panels are available to fix that car.

Good Lord!!! At that price, I wouldn't even venture to do such a job regardless of the sentimentality it has for you. But then the same ol' adage of, BT Barnum... "A F**L AND THEIR MONEY ARE EASILY PARTED" seems to come to mind here. To me, it seems like throwing good money away for what??? I get it but still...Just sayin"...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Buy a welder and a sand blaster?

For 60K you could buy a finished 73 340 car or even a survivor.

Last edited:
Kindigit?
I knew a guy that put 48 into a 68 charger metal and paint. I thought THAT was nuts.

That's the "I don't want to do it price".

Auto Metal Directs installation center just quoted me $18k to basically replace every panel (minus roof) on my 71 Cuda, including labor. That's if i were to replace all the panels and little odd ball brackets. However, not all panels need to be replaced, so it will be significantly less than what I was quoted.

I don't have to see more pictures of the car to agree that $60k is not even close to a good deal. That's a "we're booked" or "I don't want to do it price". Keep looking. You will find one.

US Car Tool have a "body in white" deal (or they used to) where for 15K they'd replace every piece necessary (no collision work - replacement only). Also there is an AMD center in Georgia that has a similar deal - you can go on their website and acually do your own estimate. Probably the biggest mistake I made was NOT going to one of those shops.

Keep in mind sheet metal work is only the beginning. After spending over 20k on the labor alone - of which we had to redo about 8k worth - I'm now over 40k in bodywork and its just about ready for final paint - whatever that's going to cost !!

The prices today are through the roof. Shops want a premium price, for time & materials, which are also over inflated now. Just for some minor paint work, which was missed during the restore, the paint was close to $1,000 !

Auto Transport Service
Back