• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

might be time for a change

Honestly...they're both cool.

While I like the unique feel and personality that comes with the older stuff, I'd rock a Charger Hellcat in a minute. I was tempted to buy one for a while, but went a different route. The only thing that would bother me if the possibility being at a stop light and having someone pulling up in an identical Hellcat. I dunno...but that just bothers me.

707 hp will never go out of style.
The biggest problem with the new muscle is the plethora of sensors. In 30 years, who is going to make new ECMs and all the electrical bits and bobs. Ever balked at putting a new electrical harness in your vintage ride? Now imagine a hellcat? It's an emerging problem on 80s "classics" and motorcycles. Crumbling plastic on everything too. Cool cars no doubt and I've ever flirted with the idea but for a lasting car...

However, ultimately they are all just things and if it's not getting it for you, I see no reason to not move it down the road.

Somewhere a Mopar heart is dying......I think we've all had that moment when there's nothing left to do on your car.
I gotta go with the " if I could have any car out there, what would it be?".
If it's a Hellcat, go for it.
If it's a Roadrunner keep it, change it, improve it, whatever. Put a wig on it and pretend it's your wife's sisters car.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Crumbling plastic on everything too. Cool cars no doubt and I've ever flirted with the idea but for a lasting car...

I can agree somewhat, but what did auto enthusiasts from previous generations think of 63-71 musclecars when they were new? Were they really built to last 50 years? Of course not, as they were starting to rust out after two years. back then, you kept a car for 3 or 4 years and traded it in before they started to rot out and fall apart. If a car of that era had 80,000 miles on it, permanent residence at the local junkyard was not far away. Looking back, it's actually a miracle that any survived at all. You want to talk about cheap fall-apart plastic? Look inside a 70-71 Cuda and then check out what those cars are fetching these days. Surely, I'm not going to keep my Hellcat forever, but I have no doubt that it can last me 10-15 years easily, with very little maintenance, should I keep it that long. Depreciation or appreciation isn't something that I'm worrying about as I bought it purely for my own personal enjoyment . And I suspect that many original owners of 63-71 musclecars thought along the same lines. I enjoy working on my old cars as well and I get enjoyment out of both era cars, although different, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Honestly...they're both cool.

While I like the unique feel and personality that comes with the older stuff, I'd rock a Charger Hellcat in a minute. I was tempted to buy one for a while, but went a different route. The only thing that would bother me if the possibility being at a stop light and having someone pulling up in an identical Hellcat. I dunno...but that just bothers me.

Happens around here, all the time. No such thing as rare, around here.

I can agree somewhat, but what did auto enthusiasts from previous generations think of 63-71 musclecars when they were new? Were they really built to last 50 years? Of course not, as they were starting to rust out after two years. back then, you kept a car for 3 or 4 years and traded it in before they started to rot out and fall apart. If a car of that era had 80,000 miles on it, permanent residence at the local junkyard was not far away. Looking back, it's actually a miracle that any survived at all. You want to talk about cheap fall-apart plastic? Look inside a 70-71 Cuda and then check out what those cars are fetching these days. Surely, I'm not going to keep my Hellcat forever, but I have no doubt that it can last me 10-15 years easily, with very little maintenance, should I keep it that long. Depreciation or appreciation isn't something that I'm worrying about as I bought it purely for my own personal enjoyment . And I suspect that many original owners of 63-71 musclecars thought along the same lines. I enjoy working on my old cars as well and I get enjoyment out of both era cars, although different, and there's nothing wrong with that.

That is a very astute and accurate observation. I remember a bunch of us guys standing around a friends father's 60's four door sedan with 100,000 miles and staring at it with complete amazement as if it were some sort of miracle machine. Our daily drivers were 10-15 years old and semi-cool or at least acceptable for the time. The real kings were the 30's and 40's hot rods. Once out of high school and working, many bought new Detroit iron. Back then a car loan was for three years and you weren't upside down on the loan after about 10 to 11 months. Still, not much has changed. If you have a decent, average cruiser that might get 25-35,000 dollars, the new Hellcat is still way north of that.
It's as if the same thought process or attitude just moves along with the times. Although in today's world there is much less to pick from. Old?/New? For those with a stable of cars the decision is probably much easier but I find one thing that seems constant. It's the statement you hear often, "I wish I still had that old car".

This got me curious last night so I started browsing just to see what used ones were fetching...saw a 16 w/ 918 miles was asking $55k along with others having <3000 miles.... also found one w/ 30k on the clock going for $36k....

This got me curious last night so I started browsing just to see what used ones were fetching...saw a 16 w/ 918 miles was asking $55k along with others having <3000 miles.... also found one w/ 30k on the clock going for $36k....

That is because the novelty has worn off and onto bigger and better things for folks.

You will easily find a buyer for your RR, as is or de-tuned. And, you will just as easily find a used HC to buy. But if you like belonging to this forum it just won't be the same experience for you without a B body.

Some very good opinions and experience in the replies. I put the hellcat in the same league as an 03-04 terminator cobra. The market was saturated for a bit when they were first made but the clean examples quickly dried up and they never really depreciated in value (unlike my 02 GT) I still have my dart with a hemi, and that always provides hours of tinkering when that itch is needed. One reason I would de-tune the roadrunner is those parts are easily transplanted into another old mopar. I wouldn't be too worried about pulling up next to another hellcat, I don't think mine would stay stock. I always find a way to use more power. Then again my 10 sec pump gas roadrunner (not real M code) is pretty fun... I drive it hard too. This definitely isn't an overnight decision.

you could always have both...lol i have a hellcat charger and its a blast to drive every time a crank it up. my superbee im working on give me the same satiffaction. have a six pack sitting on the table ready to be installed and im browsing BDS's website this morning looking at blowers for no reason at all...lol It really is a sickness

I love my 4 door Coronet Hoopdie for sure. Pretty much every time I drive it, I get some thumbs up. If I get caught in a parking lot, I may have to hear a story or two about a car someone or their Dad used to have, but that is cool, I really don't mind. I just love cars from that era.....my coming of age era. My wife has a 2015 Challenger SXT which she bought new. I know that is no HellCat, but it is a very different ride from the Coronet, and I like it too. So now that I am trying to be like Richard, I am going to agree with him that there is room in the world for both, but not room in the wallet for both, at least for this particular Deplorable!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back