• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

milan dragway bites the dust

What a mess! It sounds like the guy was really scrambling to keep the whole thing afloat, although not very wisely. If next court date is September, it's done for this season anyhow. Does this leave any drag strips in Detroit area?

Thanks again for the update Doug..... 24 parties!! HOLY COW!!! This sounds more and more like Bernie Madoff was running the track. :lol:

Was there any mention of Bankruptcy?

I'll be Gold from 8 Mile Pawn is having a melt down right now.

Stanton, up by Mt Pleasant, and US131 out in Martin, close to Grand Rapids. That is a beautiful track, the owners spent about $7m to bring it up to NHRA specs a few years ago. Not sure why there is no NHRA meet there yet, but I think that was the promise. Next closest track might be Norwalk, another top notch track, but about 2 hours away.
What a mess! It sounds like the guy was really scrambling to keep the whole thing afloat, although not very wisely. If next court date is September, it's done for this season anyhow. Does this leave any drag strips in Detroit area?

Stanton, up by Mt Pleasant, and US131 out in Martin, close to Grand Rapids. That is a beautiful track, the owners spent about $7m to bring it up to NHRA specs a few years ago. Not sure why there is no NHRA meet there yet, but I think that was the promise. Next closest track might be Norwalk, another top notch track, but about 2 hours away.
I forgot about Stanton. I have been there a couple of times for Pure Stock Drags.

I would say Norwalk is probably closer to Detroit than 131. And the good thing about Milan is it's location. What the heck else would that site be good for ? Perfect spot for a track, so I am very hopeful that it will be in operation again soon. Wonder if the adjacent Motocross track will be open this summer ? Probably not, I suppose.

I'll be testing at Stanton Friday.
Doug

I keep saying I am going to get the whole cruising Telegraph Rd (ahem, street racing) going again. Don't care where we hang or gather. However, it gets lonely out there all by myself every weekend. Anyone else up for meeting up out there at a restaurant or business somewhere.?

I keep saying I am going to get the whole cruising Telegraph Rd (ahem, street racing) going again. Don't care where we hang or gather. However, it gets lonely out there all by myself every weekend. Anyone else up for meeting up out there at a restaurant or business somewhere.?
Regarding your (ahem, street racing): I must admit, I used to engage in unsanctioned contests of accelerative prowess fifty years ago with my 1969 Superbee. Nowadays, this is definitely not an option, with so much more road traffic, and the opportunity to have your actions recorded on cell phones or security cameras. The tuner/rice rocket guys have really made street racing socially unacceptable. Back in the glory days of classic musclecars, the local police would most often just send us back to our favourite burger joint if they interrupted our fun.
Now, here in Ontario, the lawkeepers take a much dimmer view of automotive sport. Speeding in excess of 50 kph. (30 mph.) is deemed street racing with fines around $1000.00 and loss of driver's licence for seven days. At the same time, your ride is towed to an impound lot for seven days. Then there are the associated costs of towing and impound charges, along with a substantial increase in your car insurance. Doing a burn-out or even just chirping your tires is called stunt driving with equally severe consequences.
I used to have a Hemi Magnum wagon, and used to like getting on it once in a while, just to relive the power of a bygone era. Then I spent the next few minutes looking over my shoulder, wondering if my discretions had been observed. Ontario's traffic laws were a big consideration in eventually replacing my Hemi with a V-6 Durango.

For the low buck slow 12ish second cars....I had a lot of fun at ubly dragway....its been years but it was a blast!

What part of telegraph are you cruising? I might be up for making that trip.

What part of telegraph are you cruising? I might be up for making that trip.
I usually cruise from Grand River in Redford down all the way to Taylor. Used to hit the 50's McDonald's for a shake or bite to eat, but they turned it into a regular ole McDonald's now.

Say when and where, spent my youth in the 70’s and early 80’s cruising and other things between W. Chicago and Ford road, back and forth.
Parked at Korvettes, in fact I was out there cruising Saturday night, and found myself in a little race between Ann Arbor Trail and Warren.
(I was 20 years old again that night)
Would be a good time to Meet up with some friends out there

that was the way of life on the east side for a lot of my friends and me back from1966 to about 1980 street racing was good you just had to be careful we had 3 or 4 different spots to go to back then and it always helped to take this one friend of mine he was a cop he loved it he had a police radio in his car so he could tell us when to clear out i have a few things to work on my cars i would like to meet some of you guys out there we all have the same thing in common mopars

Say when and where, spent my youth in the 70’s and early 80’s cruising and other things between W. Chicago and Ford road, back and forth.
Parked at Korvettes, in fact I was out there cruising Saturday night, and found myself in a little race between Ann Arbor Trail and Warren.

I grew up at Beech and Plymouth, and played little league at the field by Korvettes. My dad was a regular on Telegraph, as was his buddy Bob, who had a 70 Hemi GTX. He could never best Dads car tho, there’s was just something special about Dads car, it ran 12:30 in completely stock condition. Many a contender fell to to what they thought was a big, heavy convertible.

if you guys are meeting up, I’ll make it a plan to come down and join the fun!

90B7A897-7193-4158-9538-D04645825C39.jpeg BCD323CC-EE5C-4120-9D57-3E1F226396C1.jpeg

We used to run out of E J Korvette's around 72-75. Black 68 Road Runner w/440 6pac, pale yellow 68 GTX
Doug

I would have been there during those years running either my 69 Cougar or my 64 Comet Caliente
This is why I switched to Mopars in my adult life, got tired of getting beat by them
Your black 68 most likely beat me back then and contributed to me coming over to the dark side

I grew up at Beech and Plymouth, and played little league at the field by Korvettes. My dad was a regular on Telegraph, as was his buddy Bob, who had a 70 Hemi GTX. He could never best Dads car tho, there’s was just something special about Dads car, it ran 12:30 in completely stock condition. Many a contender fell to to what they thought was a big, heavy convertible.

if you guys are meeting up, I’ll make it a plan to come down and join the fun!

Wow small world, I grew up in that area also
Sure would like to see something set up and a group of us get out there soon
View attachment 1097348 View attachment 1097349

Same here. Lived near Warren and Greenfield, cruised W.Chicago to Ford rd. Many a races in my Road Runner, now have a 440 six pack Challenger.
Andy
IMG_20210414_085444941.jpg

I would love to have a meet up down there as well! Cruise down to Miller’s for a burger, check out the scene along the way, and generally make a nuisance of ourselves. Then, sneak out of town on a back road before the Bronze can nail us down, you know, just like the old days!

Sounds like I am not the only one. Weather permitting, we need to find us a good spot to hang out. Count me in. Used to look like this back in the 80's. Out at Milan in 88/89ish. More of the stock look now. No more jacked up in the rear.

Charger2.jpg 20210320_161540.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back