• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mismatched Heads

Northern Runner

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Found this a little interesting when I started disassemble of my 360 I recently picked up, cast in early January 1973 btw.
On the passenger side of the motor I found 915 head, on the driver side I found a 587 head. DSCN0663.jpgDSCN0664.jpg
Both have 1.88 x 1.60 valves and intake ports are the same dimensions. I know that 915's were used on 71-72 340's and 360's and they switched over to 587's on both motors in 1973.
The motor hasn't been ever apart until now and the cylinder bores still have crosshatch marks on them :headbang:
My general question is what's up with the mismatched heads? Just another example of weird things done at the factory?

I figured other brands did this too...but I had never heard or seen anything like this before! After I posted this I had the same thoughts Roadbird, this had to have been the last 915 on the line so they mixed em. It'll make a cool story though!

Auto Transport Service
Back