• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing wrench...found

how about leaving a wheel loose that flies off after driving a few blocks.fired a couple techs over that ****.:angry9:
Had a wheel come off after driving a 'new' to my buddy of mine 69 road runner. Had that sucker up to 110 before we got back to where I lived and as we were going up the road in the neighborhood doing about 25, we heard this thump thump thump and off goes the left front. The tire went very slowly across this neighbor's front yard, bounce over the flower bed and laid over against a front window. Yeah, it broke the window pane too. We were just glad nothing happened when we were wringing it out!

Be glad they arent airplane mechanics. I cringe everytime a jet flies directly over me waiting on something to fall off.
Being a 30+ year machinist, I worked with a few x aircraft machinists/mechanics and heard some pretty chilling stories. It didn't bother me too much since I quit flying commercial buses in 76.

So how did you dispose of the evidence? :icon_weed::icon_weed:
I burned it! :D Seriously...I threw it in the BBQ pit lol. And yeah, it was very brown lol.

Somewhere between the engine,the trans and the firewall is a long 1/4" drive extension. I watched it fall off the ratchet,but didn't "hear" where it landed. Looked under the car,grabbed a long magnet and checked the intake valley and every nook and crannie and whatever. Never found it. It's been three weeks and it still hasn't gone "ping" as it bounces off the underside going down the road.
If you don't find it somebody will. You wouldn't believe all of the tools I have found laying in the street over the years. Especially when I was working in south Seattle where all the truck shops are. Some of it pretty nice stuff. See a glint or flash, stop and check it out. Just call me scrounge.

If you don't find it somebody will. You wouldn't believe all of the tools I have found laying in the street over the years. Especially when I was working in south Seattle where all the truck shops are. Some of it pretty nice stuff. See a glint or flash, stop and check it out. Just call me scrounge.

Scrounge, you said to...

I was heading up a dirt road and found two logging chains some lumber hawling trucker didn't fasten down, both about 30 feet long.. been coming in handy for years, there's a little scrounge in us all, besides running over them could have caused a problem... :)

Driving thru downtown Ft. Worth, saw what looked like a briefcase in the road. It as a brand spankin' new DeWalt 14.4v cordless drill with two batteries and a charger. I went to a big jobsite two blocks up the road and told the foreman I found a tool that might belong there. Five guys asked me what it was. I was smart enough to say "I ain't sayin' - YOU tell ME!" 'cause if I told them some a-hole would claim it whether it was his or not. Nobody came up with a DeWalt. I still have it!

we were in northren MI when my buddies 04 truck overheated.....got him back to camp ..opened the hood the shroud and rad were tore up...after we pulled the rad I found a hose clamp all f**ked up....all hose clamps on the truck were factory but 1.....$700 later he had a date with his wrench man....he said he had a clamp he lost......good thing a 2 day weekend lasted 6 days...

I have around 25 rubber bungee cords that I've found on the roads over several years. If I see one and can stop, I do. I'm sure I've saved a few people from having flat tires from the hooks at least and they do come in handy from time to time.

We pulled a 340 down in the shop once. When we got the intake off, there was a screwdriver, remnants of a shop rag and a ratchet with extension and a 9/16 socket still installed.

The guy had owned the car for years.

Try flipping a boat upside down for some real finds. My friends owns a marina. When they scrap hulls, they flip them and shake all the goodies out. Rings, keys, wallets, jewelry, etc.

A little off the topic but ... I worked on the construction of a nuclear power plant. We xrayed a 36" main steam line after we welded up the root (called pulling the EB ring). These joints get xrayed quite a few times and this was the first xray for this joint. The NDE guys came back with the film and said "you have to cut it apart 'cause somebody left a ladder in the pipe." Glad it wasn't me that left it in there.

Hey '68, we came back from a mission one day, and we had a problem with the radar operator's station. I had to go put the covers on the engines and fuel the plane, and by the time I got back aboard to grab my gear everyone else was gone. I found a screwdriver had been left at the radar station, so I picked it up and took it back to the hangar with me. It was late on a Friday afternoon, and by the time I got through the doors, everyone in maintenance control and the Tron shop had left. I left the screwdriver in my flightsuit and went home for the weekend. :)

I came back to the squadron on Monday morning, and the first thing I did was take that screwdriver into Maintenance Control and turned it in. WHAM! The weight of the entire maintenance department immediately crashed on my head! The plane we had flown Friday was scheduled for a 0300 takeoff Monday morning, and the screwdriver had been found missing from the toolkit. The only way the bird could fly was to make the maintenance officer, an O-6, drag his *** into the hangar and release it. So I ended up getting reamed up one side and down the other, mainly by said maintenance officer, about not turning the tool in Friday, and the fact there was no one to turn it into made no difference.

A couple weeks later we're landing at NAS Oceana, VA, and when we hit the brakes I see an allen wrench come rolling down the floor past my seat. I snagged it and went about doing my post-arrival checks. One of the pilots was my old buddy the maintenance officer, and after I was done with my tasks I went to look for him to let him know I had found that wrench. And there was that old SOB in Air Ops, on the phone, red faced and cursing to someone back in Jacksonville who had just told him the plane was grounded because an allen wrench was missing. Instead of giving it to him as I had intended, I walked over to a trashcan and dropped it in. :) We spent the next three hours or so tearing the plane apart looking for that wrench, but it was worth it as the skipper ended up giving the maintenance officer a major reaming about his "failed tool control" policies when we finally got back.

In the mid 70's, I bought a 67 Dart and a 67 Barracuda parts car to help fix up the Dart. Then I bought a repo 70 Duster 340 car with the engine and trans gone but still had the 8 3/4 in it so in the Dart the rear end went. Then I noticed that the complete interior from the Duster would probably fit the Dart and it did! Buckets and all went in. Fast forward several years when I parted the Dart and when I pulled the buckets out, one fell over and the sun caught something bright. It was a clear sandwich baggie with a good ounce of brown pot in it! I had been driving that car for years and driving it hard. The rear had a 3.91 gear and it would scream. Once I even got a ticket for excessive noise by spinning the tires. This was when you could spend 2 years in jail for possession of pot. Man, from then on, I go over ALL used cars with a fine tooth comb before driving them!

I had that happen with the 72 Roadrunner I bought back in the early 1980s. I kept hearing a rattling sound under the dash, so one day I reached up under there and found a hypo on the lower ridge of the dash frame. I drove the car to the base and went to the Security office and asked them to run the dogs through the car. They found another hypo and two near empty baggies under the back seat. The Security guys told me had the dogs found that stuff during a random sweep, I would have been toast.

After that, the first place I took every car I bought from the tag agency to base security to have the dogs go through it. :)

I know...oh,wait;I'm old as well.

Carry on...

I'm a product of the 70's, Class of 77', it was pretty hard "to not know", what a $20 "3 finger Lid of Brown" was, reference to probably how much Mexican, Columbian Brown seedy crap, maybe even others like, purple haze, sativa, Afghany, Ti-Stick, spinach, Green bud, Humbolt, Cali Bud, Hawiian, Maui Wowie, Panamanian Purple, Kona Gold, Squanch, herbs, puff, smoke, toke or tote, attitude enhancer/adjuster, bong stuff, dope, hemp, cannabis, grass, hash, mary-jane, Marijuana, among many others, I'm sure............................, I guess, I'm just old too...

Attachments

• Made In America Hemp-cannabis-sativa.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 174
I'm a product of the 70's, Class of 77', it was pretty hard "to not know", what a $20 "3 finger Lid of Brown" was, reference to probably how much Mexican, Columbian Brown seedy crap, maybe even others like, purple haze, setiva, Afghany, Ti-Stick, spinach, Green bud, Humbolt, Cali Bud, Hawiian, Maui Wowie, Panamanian Purple, Kona Gold, Squanch, herbs, puff, smoke, toke or tote, attitude enhancer/adjuster, bong stuff, dope, hemp, cannabis, grass, hash, mary-jane, Marijuana, among many others, I'm sure............................, I guess, I'm just old too...

Hey wow maaaaaan! lol they still got browns around here (Chi-town Brown, Pancho's Pouch), only thing is it went from a 3-finger lid to a finger and a half mini baggie. inflation's a bitch! lol

I dont bother with that stuff...i only smoke the Cush (Northern Lights anyone??) when it's around.

Hey wow maaaaaan! lol they still got browns around here (Chi-town Brown, Pancho's Pouch), only thing is it went from a 3-finger lid to a finger and a half mini baggie. inflation's a bitch! lol

I dont bother with that stuff...i only smoke the Cush (Northern Lights anyone??) when it's around.

I could have added Stinky Green Bud, Skunk Weed, Chronic, or Cush too, I'm just not hip enough for those thou, I haven't even seen the stuff for maybe 25-30 years now, just remembering my, adventurous side of youth....

Last edited:
When in the military in the early 70's, I got shipped to Germany and over there, it's all hash or hashish. Some of that stuff even had a gooberment stamp on it especially if it was from Afghanistan. Smoked quit a bit of that back then but still wasn't into it like most were. Anyways, an old buddy stopped by with one of those 1 finger mini bags of pot about a year ago. Dang....that stuff was better than any hash I ever smoked but heck with that mess. I can still function pretty good after a 6 pack of beer and don't need to be that messed up with this super pot that they have now a days! He left a small amount with me and after it sat around for about 6 months, I finally tossed it.

Auto Transport Service
Back