• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model Cars

@wthalin

I found the 66 resin on ebay a few years ago.

Kinda pricey but the only way to get the 66 specific stuff.

It should be decent when combined with the 67 R/T kit.

Those are relatively easy to find.

I bought this one from a fellow member....I just had to...
upload_2020-1-28_14-22-9-png.png

Thanks to @METAL BEE 68 for the cool model. :lowdown:

One of these days I'll build this one :rolleyes:

Try finding a '62. I always wanted a DieCast but only found '63s. Jo Han made this in red and white. There's a way to tell which one you have without breaking the seal by the code on the box but it doesn't always work. (I still have a red one for sale)
20210216_141758.jpg

Jo-Han, after the designer's name John Hanely has some cool history. They weren't the most detailed or complete like other models. They did build many for dealerships back in the day to help sell cars. They were the ones with the friction gears inside.

This is a good video on their history. The YouTube poster has other vids on models.

I have that kit, but in 4 door!

I'd have to be burdened with a broken leg to sit indoors and build a model. I love them, love to build them but the full scale versions are still within reach, so....

gm paid for the molds for the Chrysler turbine car promo?

Ooops.

@wthalin

I found the 66 resin on ebay a few years ago.

Kinda pricey but the only way to get the 66 specific stuff.

It should be decent when combined with the 67 R/T kit.

Those are relatively easy to find.

Yeah, saw someone has one on eBay for $500 :eek:

Not sure if that is the going rate, but that seems nuts to me for a model.

Whoa.

IIRC I paid $75 for mine and winced to do that.

I have seen exactly one ad for a 66 made as a slot car.

My research suggests (but was not conclusive) that it is 1/32 scale.

I have never seen the actual model.

Also note that the resin 66 is a sedan.

That leaves you with carefully removing the entire rear section (deck lid and tail panel) from the resin body and transplanting it on to the 67 body if you have a hardtop. (and filling in the 67 scallops).

I have that kit, but in 4 door!
I think Revell did the 4-door. It was moulded in clear plastic with fine metal flake embedded in it. That way you could paint the inside and have a metallic paint job. At least, that was the theory. I have seen pictures of one, but never saw an actual one.

I recently watched a series of histories of the model car companies on U tube. The sixties and early seventies were the heydays of the model car kit. Likely a lot of the same guys that were building them back then are the same guys building them now.

I just bought this kit.
I paid a stupid amount for it. :screwy:
Spill. :lol:

I bought about 6 or so 1:24 scale plastic kitsets from Toys-R-Us in 1987. I still have them ...and only ever built one of them. I think I still have the 1:12 scale General Lee I bought....haven't seen it for a while....must be in storage.
I starting building my 1:24 scale 1970 Plymouth GTX at the time I started restoring the real one. I stopped at the primer stage as I had caught up to the real one, and I told my painter that I wouldn't finish the model until he got done also.

I never got back to finishing the model. I'll see if I can find it and post some pics. :)

I'd like to make a Sox & Martin Baccaruda model. The closest thing is probably a Hurst Hemi Under Glass that I'd have to modify. There are some resin '66 Barracuda bodies out there, too, but they're pricey compared to a Hemi Under Glass complete kit. I found pics of this one a guy made himself out of resin. Turned out great.

Rons66CudaFront.jpg

I bought one of these recently - pretty cool. I haven't put it together yet.
moe1237.jpg

Some of the molds that were for first year body styles got retooled into the next year, so those first year models can never be done again, unless someone makes new tooling.

I believe this is what happened to the 68 Barracuda. It was retooled to a 69 and that's the end of that.
(although the retooled model still has 68 marker lights)

Not saying that's what happened to the 68 Coronet, but it's possible.

The MPC 68 coronet mold became the 69, or so I’ve been told.
Some of the molds that were for first year body styles got retooled into the next year, so those first year models can never be done again, unless someone makes new tooling.

I believe this is what happened to the 68 Barracuda. It was retooled to a 69 and that's the end of that.

In 1969 I bought a new Superbee. I remember buying a 1969 Coronet R/T kit to make a replica of my new car. I imagine this was the retooled MPC 1968 Coronet R/T kit. I did a model of 1968 Barracuda Hemi in Arlen Vanke livery. I bought the decals from Arlen himself at Columbus Mopar Nats one year. I used the old MPC 1969 kit that does not have much underhood detail. I modified and used the floor pan and cowl/inner fenders from a Revell 1968 Dart kit. The biggest chore was modifying interior tub to fit Dart Chassis. I don't know about decal availability for this version of Sox and Martin 'Cuda though.

Auto Transport Service
Back