• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model Cars

That is a good hobby for sure. When growing up built many models. Just did not have enough time to do it any more with life being as it is. Good work and did love to sit down and glue them together-paint and put the decal's on them. Stay safe and keep the pic's coming of the models.

To old to build anymore.
1998 I sold 800 models and 15 promos got $11,000.
Some shots of my current set up.
I need one more built ( I have the kit)...........want a 64 Savoy built like my real SS clone, can anyone help?
Happy to pay but not $11K LOL

View attachment 1071023 View attachment 1071024 View attachment 1071025
I built a '64 Belvedere 2-door sedan by switching the roofs from a Lindberg '64 Dodge 2-door sedan with the roof from a Lindberg '64 Plymouth 2-door hardtop kit. However, this was a bigger job than I expected because the scale dimensions were not real close, even though the kits were made by the same company. It might be easier to graft a '64 front end and rear end to a Moebius '65 Savoy kit. I use one of those inexpensive digital verniers to check dimensions when modifying kits.

I recently was thinking about doing another model until I saw the pricing of some of the more vintage cars; I just cannot bring myself to pay $40 for a plastic model car that i have to build. I am not hating on anyone doing it or who enjoys that hobby, I am just saying for me the view isn't worth the drive. I wanted to build a 71 Charger like the one I am building but I'd have to buy a number of kits to make it happen. It comes down to spend money on a model car or buy more car parts. Its also a time thing for me.

I will say though that I can appreciate a well done model especially those that are customized and detailed.

I recently was thinking about doing another model until I saw the pricing of some of the more vintage cars; I just cannot bring myself to pay $40 for a plastic model car that i have to build. I am not hating on anyone doing it or who enjoys that hobby, I am just saying for me the view isn't worth the drive. I wanted to build a 71 Charger like the one I am building but I'd have to buy a number of kits to make it happen. It comes down to spend money on a model car or buy more car parts. Its also a time thing for me.

I will say though that I can appreciate a well done model especially those that are customized and detailed.
It is a hobby and hobbies always cost $$$. Some people fish, hunt or play golf, and this can get expensive too. I find model building keeps my brain going as well as maintains my fine motor skills. This year am also putting my 1:1 scale car kit together, but most winters there is not much car related stuff to do. It is just a matter of how we spend our $$$. Haven't seen a Brinks truck in a funeral procession yet.

Yeah I absolutely get that and please don't think I am at all bashing on building them, I did a lot of them when I was younger and a few as I got older, and I will probably do some more before its over.

Speaking of that, here is the first model I ever did circa 1974 or so. I was about 14 and had just discovered Mopars, found the kit at our local Benjamin Franklin five and dime. Built it as stock originally, then began to modify it, stripped an engine out of Top Fuel dragster, front end off a pickup model (I think), seats out of a corvette model, etc. I don't know how this model survived all this time but I was able to get it when I returned from my last overseas tour and knew I was going to retire.

It isn't real pretty or nice but it holds a lot of memories for me and in fact I currently have a 68 FB Cuda sitting in one of my shops that needs a full restoration/build. I wouldn't try and replicate the model but I do like the body style.

IMG_3351.jpg
IMG_3352.jpg
IMG_3353.jpg

I've bought the last half dozen or so kits at car shows.

$10 for the real nice AMT 71 Charger R/T unassembled version.

i just bought a bunch at Ollie's outlet, 10.00 for cars and 20.00 for semi's

I also watch estate auctions for buys on models and die cast. Latest scores were Danbury Mint '56 DeSoto, '57 Chrysler 300, '58 Plymouth Fury, and Divco milk truck.

I've bought the last half dozen or so kits at car shows.

$10 for the real nice AMT 71 Charger R/T unassembled version.

Thats awesome, maybe I will fall into a deal like that. I'd love to build a model of the car I am building. Unfortunately all of the 71 models are for the RT but I can live with that.

So you guys lit a spark for me and I started watching YouTube videos on model car detailing, subsequently I went a bit crazy and bought like 9 kits... I bought

- 69 FB Cuda
- 71 Charger
- 70 Challenger TA
- 72 Cuda
- 06 Charger RT (want the 5.7 from it)
- 74 Road Runner
- 74 Challenger
- 67 Hemi GTX
- 70 Road Runner

Also some spare parts (Hemi) off eBay.

My intent is to build my favorite and current cars

That's quite a turn around from a few days ago. Good for you. have fun.

That's quite a turn around from a few days ago. Good for you. have fun.

You are absolutely right it is. This thread got me thinking about it and the more I thought about the more interested I got, then I wanted a video on putting spark plug wires on a model engine and that got me thinking that I could probably built a much nicer and more detailed model than I ever have given the availability of information, parts, and tools. So I thought "what models would I like to build"? and we were off to the races.

In the past when I got a model I would build it as the kit was designed for the most part (except that 69 Cuda when I was young). But now I realize that the really good builds are done using parts from various kits not to mention the availability of resin parts.

I need another hobby like a hole in the head but I am folding this one into my overall car addiction so it doesn't count as "new"...

Winter season when the 1:1 cars are put away the models keep me busy. This is a replica of my '63 Plymouth Fury.

15 63 Fury 1.jpg
15 63 Fury 2.JPG

I have built many models but not for quite some time, now I am focused on the 1:1 versions primarily but I certainly would do more 1:25 models if I found something I really liked (like a 71 Superbee).

I think you can get a resin Bee hood for the 71 R/T kit.

Man i’d love to have the time to dig into my closet to drag put some kits and start building them!
I’ve been on the hunt for while now for a
W900 Kenworth to go with my lowboy trailer with a circuit breaker on it. built one as a kid along with the mopars and would love to build the rig again.

Over the summer I amassed quite a pile of models, I bought a bunch of supplies and set up a work station. The plan was during the winter I would work on them, well thus far I have only started on a 1:16 scale Petty 73 Charger... I basically bought all of my favorite cars from my past and present with the plan of building replicas, but I just haven't gotten to them, but I will :praying:

I too have been collecting for a while, maybe retirement ?? who knows !

thumbnail_20210901_192834.jpg thumbnail_20210901_192852.jpg

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting back in models. Built many as a kid, last one being the Mopar Missile Challenger Pro Stock. Now that I'm retired (lol), I've got plenty of time during winter. It's starting over from scratch, i have no supplies. I just bought the Hemi Dart/ GTS and will decide which one to build.
Are the new acrylic paints ok to use?
Only have experience with old school enamels.

I have become very interested in the Tamiya paints bc I bought some in Petty blue and discovered that unlike most spray paints I can use in indoors and it doesn't run everyone out. It has very nice coverage as well.

I spent a fair amount of time watching YouTube videos on models and got a lot of great information on the subject. I learned that super glue has a "kicker" that makes it set instantly.... who knew.. LOL. Tamiya as some super thin paint that you can use on things like a chrome grille where the paint will lay into the depressions and give the impression of the holes being open or you could use it on something like a finned valve cover as well. Its actually also used to fill lines like where the trunk lid is where it blackens the groove between the trunk lid and body. They have it in black, grey, tank and I think brown.

There are products to help with decals as well, a wide variety of paints and tools. Its a vastly different world for models than it was back in the day. You can buy pre-wired distributor caps, fuel line, SS braided line, An hose ends, etc. The resin world is producing all sorts of things like hoods, engines, transmissions, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back