• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern EFI Engine Wiring Harness

Jigsaw73

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
I bought a 5.2L Multiport EFI engine and automatic transmission to swap into a 1972 Dodge Charger. The goal is to make a reliable daily driver / highway cruiser.

The engine is a 318/5.2L and the auto trans is a 44RE. It is an older engine (1993 - 2003) with a multi-port fuel injection intake manifold, a 2BBL throttle body, and a distributor. This is the kind of engine you can easily swap an intake and card setup onto ...but I'm hoping to keep the original EFI setup. I am having the hardest time finding information on an engine wiring harness. I am still looking online but I'd like some help. Is anyone out there doing (or hopefully has successfully done) an engine swap like this?

Can I just use any engine wiring harness and PCM for the date range of the drivetrain? Maybe something I can pull from one of the local salvage yards? ...Or does is have to be specific to this engine setup (i.e., it came out of Jeep for example, should I get a harness out of a jeep)?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'll upload some photos I took of the codes on the valve cover. Thank you.

20200531_100824.jpg 20200531_100829.jpg

You should be able to snag a factory harness pretty easy - not much difference between the 5.2 and the 5.9 so you're good there - just get a later harness from 1998+ since you're running the "RE" transmission - the earlier harnesses did not have provision for the electronic transmission.

The PCM should be marked for what engine size -

You will also need to do some homework on a fuel pump/system.
But if you keep it essentially stock you will need to add an O2 sensor as well.
They are terrific engines for daily use and last almost forever.

Yes, I'll add an O2 sensor and weld a bung to the exhaust likely at the header collector. I was thinking of getting a fuel tank with an in-tank pump/sending unit combo out of something modern. Hoping an aftermarket Charger, Challenger, or possibly Magnum tank will have similar dimensions. Although I think all 3 of those choices have a side inlet tube for the fuel filler...I'll have to figure something out.

EDIT: Doesn't seem too hard to figure out. After a quick Google search, I see there are options for an aftermarket, universal EFI fuel tank that will fit.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back