• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern handguns look more boring.

SteveSS

Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
It seems like the older handguns are works of art compared to these plastic blobs. The high capacity is nice but they are ugly.

Guns like the Browning Hi-Power and 1911 are such classics. A stainless Colt .357 Python with wood grips is beautiful. A Walther PPK, so cool.

I think the blobby look started with the Glocks and just spread from there.

Yes, my father gave me a 357 python from his father. But all the others from Vietnam and where ever came up missing. But agree to much plastic, plane Jane looking i refuse to by a glock. Jesse

8097AC1A-E416-4293-ADCD-54AA0291D61C.jpeg
Revolvers. Timeless. Always go bang when you want them to. My favorite.

I love the look and feel of older handguns.
Love shooting revolvers especially.

But I'm more into functionality these days and the newer striker fired weapons are tough to beat in that area.

some olde phart loading a s&w m586, competition barrel
and yes, the ground is covered 4'' deep in spent casings
IMG_1281.JPG

I have probably fifteen or so handguns. I prefer the older ones. The newest and only plastic one is a Glock that I was given. They are all interesting in different ways. The Thompson Center Contender is cool for long range plinking. The ex Israelie (possibly Mossad, most likely an Air Marshal) Beretta .22 is great for burning up bricks of ammo. The same with the various .32’s. Not a lot of kick or blast so wife and daughter will shoot them all day. 1911’s are my favourite, but getting expensive to shoot. The 1917 45acp revolver is a lot of fun and has cool history, but half moon clips are no fun.
But I think modern rifles are becoming boring, as well. Modern CNC machines have made most low and mid range bolt rifles better then the best of a few decades ago, but they have no soul. And it seems every rifle now has to be max tricked out for kicking in doors. I much prefer the look of my early to mid seventies AR-15.
But that’s just me.

I like my S&W revolvers truthfully. The old firearms definitely have style over all the new black firearms. 440'

Starting to look like most modern cars. I can hardly tell one from another any more.

I second this point. I work in automotive... and I'm rethinking my career. They all are tuning into some boiled down amalgamation of a tear drop shape. There's no heart, soul, or passion in new car designs. Hence, my attraction to old cars. And I love the "push the boundaries" of Chrysler's marketing back in the day. Nothing was ordinary about Chrysler back then, IMHO.

On the topic of guns... I love them. Do I want something that shoots itself and never challenges you to learn and grow... nope. I like a good challenge.

I agree, the original 1911 is a work of art. The original German lugar, the 30-30 winchester,the M-1 Garand,even the original Belgian FAL. The original 1940's SKS furniture stock,,, they all have a definite style. I don't care for plastic guns or Glocks. Boring for sure.

I like them all.
20200412_192640.jpg

Ruger LCP II .380
Browning Black Label, 1911 .22
Glock 43, .9mm
Walther PPK, .380
Seecamp .32
Beretta .22
M&P Shield, .45
Kimber .45
GSG .22
S&W, NYPD off duty, .38 Rev.
Beretta .380
S&W .357 magnum Rev.
Kimber Ultra Covert w int Laser .45
Kimber 6 shot .357 Rev.

Last edited:
Yes, my father gave me a 357 python from his father. But all the others from Vietnam and where ever came up missing. But agree to much plastic, plane Jane looking i refuse to by a glock. Jesse
I remember, many years ago, the old timers at a shop I worked in were doubting that the "new" plastic inline after market fuel filters were not gonna work and swore they would melt down. Lol
I know the Glock is plastic, but ya gotta try it, it's easy to handle, reliable, and feels great!

Last edited:
I think the same can be said for old rifles too - or at least old style. This particular one is a replica.

7529C58D-0F84-4D00-9A0E-A9C8AEAEE0D1.jpeg

I heard the new Henrys are of high quality and well respected. I am trying to get up to the point of buying an original copy of the civil war 45-70 but $2,000 or so is a challenge.
I got to see the first Issued and presented to president Lincoln in 1861,,now at the Smithsonian. Now that is a rifle!
There were only 17,000 made, at $200.00 bucks apiece. The standard Army issue was $12.00.

The Henry's are solid. Have a few lever actions. Tight tolerances, not sloppy at all.

I remember, many years ago, the old timers at a shop I worked in were doubting that the "new" plastic inline after market fuel filters were not gonna work and swore they would melt down. Lol
I know the Glock is plastic, but ya gotta try it, it's easy to handle, reliable, and feels great!
And you either love or hate their version of a safety. I like it myself :thumbsup:

Long ago when I was much younger and broker I wanted a stainless Beretta 92F because to me it was the coolest auto out there. Well, at the toy store it was very evident that I was not going to be able to afford it, but they did have a factory refurb Glock 19, and it was CHEAP.

I felt awful about my purchase - it was so ugly, and had a crappy trigger, and the grip was ok. Within 6 months or so of practice at the range, I came to LOVE the thing. Drop dead reliable, light weight, the metal parts are as hard and tough as diamond. Hell, even cleaning it was optional! I could outshoot my friends with their high end Sigs or Colts or whatever else they had.

I still lust after the classic and pretty guns. But to me the ugly Glock is damn near perfect.

I do enjoy the aesthetics of older guns - LOVE my dad's '51 Colt revolver! - but for my EDC I could care less what it looks like as long as I can put the whole mag on target reliably, and it's small enough to carry inconspicuously. My Hellcat fits that bill perfectly - at the moment. I do confess, I am looking at the Wilson Combat EDC-X9 for a "someday" purchase. Compact 1911, competition-tolerances, handbuilt, guaranteed 1.5" groups at 25 yards...and a 15 round flush-fit mag. All sorts of color options, engraving options, functional options (sights, triggers, safeties, heels, magwells)...super nice.

But I do love my striker fired Hellcat. Simple, functional, reliable (Springfield has run 20,000 rounds through one of them - same serial number - without a rebuild).

Auto Transport Service
Back