• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moog u joints

pjm8047

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
looking to replace my 50 year old u joints on my 71 roadrunner. Was thinking of getting the moog 316 u joints. Any reviews on them?

I have used Moog parts for years & never had a problem with them. They used to be one of the best & I think they are still pretty good compared to others. I hear good things about Pro Forged too, but not sure if they offer universal joints.

I like the Spicer solids. 5-811X for 7290 yokes. Made in USA.

OP is asking about 7290 joints.

Moog's are OK, but I like Spicer's better. If you really want a bullet proof U joint, look into the Lakewood 23012 U joints, same size as the 316s but stronger.

Mark

Im just looking to stay stock. I barely put 500 miles a year on it. Im having my 8 3/4 50 year old bearings replaced I figured id have the u joints replaced too since the drive shaft is being removed.

I use to bracket race a 1970 Corvette/454. Now those have 6 U joints so they were kind of important to get the strongest units. Every one I used that had a grease fitting would break at the fitting, only non grease fitting joints would not break. I think they might have been spicer. But for sure no grease fitting for max strength.

I decided to return the 316 u joints and get the 248 moog super strength u joints. I couldn’t find any place locally that had spicers in stock. I figured 248 would be just as good.

Auto Transport Service
Back