• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 440 Cams

Racer Brown is still around as its owned by Jimmy Dowel here in Md near me. Ron

"Back in the day" I had great luck with General Kinetics. My first 585/585 solid was great. Much bigger than the Mopar engineers thought was good. My best cam was a General Kinetics mushroom lifter piece. More power than than 2 of my Comp roller cams & about the same as my bad *** 690 Lunati roller cam. I'm hoping my next custom Comp solid will be good.

image.jpg
I'm up in the air on my current build,67/440 over.30
Going with 440 source lower build 10 1/2-1 flat tops and trick flow heads with a six pack any suggestions and size? It's a street Dart/4 speed??

One thing I've been convinced of, have a very experienced engine builder that has a good relationship with the "back room engineers", not the phone bank guys, to pick your lobe design. I'm hopeful that will work with Comp on my new motor.

I use Comp and Crane predominantly. I have yet to loose a camshaft. I've spec'd my own from Comp, Engle, and Bullet. If I wanted to have one designed, Dwayne Porter or Mike @ Camking would be the first two. Tim @ Bullet is fine and they have some very good lobe profiles. But - all that being said - for the vast majority of enthusiasts a properly selected shelf cam will be more than fine.

I use Comp and Crane predominantly. I have yet to loose a camshaft. I've spec'd my own from Comp, Engle, and Bullet. If I wanted to have one designed, Dwayne Porter or Mike @ Camking would be the first two. Tim @ Bullet is fine and they have some very good lobe profiles. But - all that being said - for the vast majority of enthusiasts a properly selected shelf cam will be more than fine.
Well I'm like you I like to if I can pick a cam profile that I feel will suit me particular application but I have not had any good luck with bullet cams and I made that pretty clear on Facebook and on there Google ratings I felt that they were very unprofessional they never returned phone calls I asked for email information over and over and even talk to a guy there on three separate occasions and told me they were going to send me the information over that was five months ago they have crappy customer service Comp Cams on the other hand I talked to him on a Friday Monday they had two different profiles over to me the cost of the can so on and so forth lunati did a great job they got back to me I guess sometimes you get companies that think the customers more important then their attitudes and as far as I'm concerned bullet cams sucks if that offends anybody I'm sorry I don't make any apologies for it

That's too bad

good luck finding the profile your looking for, don't give up
it takes time sometimes to get a good supplier & good rep. to deal with...

I don't want to get into it on a public forum but I didn't have good luck with Hughes at all, I would not recommend them either, I'll just leave it at that...

see ya'

I'm not offended at all. Bullet has some very, very good lobes from Ultradyne Harold... But my impression the minimum wage guy answering the phone probably only knows what the notebook tells him and if he's not good with organization and time management people will get slighted. That's pretty much standard everywhere. I won't buy from Hughes or Indy strictly based on their attitudes on the phone nor Walmart based on their business model. So I can appreciate your position and actions.

Good replys Men thanks,

Well I understand what you're saying about the guys that may be answering the phone and you're just following book quotes or information that's in front of them but when you send 3 separate emails you call three separate times and talk to the same person and nothing is done to me that is poor poor poor business I don't care who you are if I did that my business and customers kept calling me and I never return calls I would lose business then the world would slowly get around it may take awhile but eventually it's going to financially start hurting it doesn't take much to pick the phone up and call somebody back I can do that in a matter of 15 to 20 seconds or less just saying call competition cams one time they had the information over to me that following Monday ask him another question that had the information back to me within 4 hours that's customer service same with lunati they were very helpful I wanted to buy for bullet cams but with customer service like that what would happen if the cam was bad it would take an act of God or congress could get them to do anything

Can anyone out here tell me about racer Brown is it worth going through them is a trustworthy I'm just asking will they make a good cam profile will they stand behind their product does anybody out here use their product on a regular basis

Racer Brown is a very good tradition. I have not used them myself, as I'm able to do what I need from elsewhere. But I would not hesitate to use them if the situation warranted it. As far as standing behind product... These are race parts. It is up to you to know how to properly use them.

Never had any problems with the product from Comp Cams but have had issues with their tech department and getting what I ordered shipped to me and well, it was enough that I quit using them.

I use them extensively BUT I have buddies that work there
to help. I usually have a dozen on the shelf for my builds.
Most of the techs there are blunt Tools and beyond useless!!!

I see no mention of Bob Karakasin ( spelled wrong, sorry , Mr Six Pack has his own line of cams... I have one and love it! Highly recommended .. He has a wealth of knowledge and very helpful and was taught by the legendary Tom Hoover and grew from there and is good friends with his son too...

I only have experience with Comp cams with my '69 440 Cuda, all iron BV temp ported 906 headed 6pk motor. Not enough comp for the cam really but it still ran real good and pulled to 7k+, personally I didn't think it was wild at all, ticked over@900rpm, was race only, made 525fwhp @ around 9.7:1CR with a single 850DP, weight/mph.....The CC. 650"/.650"/[email protected] SFT, still available today but pricey.
We got a guy here who runs a very similar version of that sft with less exh lift and ally heads in a light Dart 512ci on alcohol and goes 8.90's in the 1/4.

And my mate here ran the DC. .590sft in his 12.5:1 440 MCH ported Eddy headed Dart with a single Dom and made 599fwhp. Cam was good to about 6900rpm in that combo.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back