• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar nationals or Carlisle Chrysler nationals.

If you had to pick between going to the Mopar Nationals or Carlisle Chrysler Nationals

• Total voters
And the golf carts were insane!
Carlisle is getting bad. I'm 71 and need mine - knees won't take the distance. And I'm sympathetic to other old goats like myself. HOWEVER I have a real problem with guys under the age of 40 buzzing around on rental mobility scooters for no reason other than they can. AND, obesity is NOT a disability - get off the golf cart and burn some of that fat off !!

If you have no interest in racing Carlisle would be a better choice. Nats is different and on decline, but still manage to have fun. I would like to go to the Moparty, but now that Norwalk has a Mopar show again without a asshole running it, running all the way to Kentucky is not that interesting.

I do both and enjoy both. Both have issues depending on what you want. Carlisle is great for the show and parts. The Nats is great for the parts and the drag racing. Carlisle IS clean and organized while the Nats is very unorganized and messy. Honestly depends on what the person is looking for more of but I recommend both and see which one is right for you.

Carlisle is getting bad. I'm 71 and need mine - knees won't take the distance. And I'm sympathetic to other old goats like myself. HOWEVER I have a real problem with guys under the age of 40 buzzing around on rental mobility scooters for no reason other than they can. AND, obesity is NOT a disability - get off the golf cart and burn some of that fat off !!
Carlisle Events has a fine print policy that motorized mobility aids are permissible for folks with documented physical impairments. They enforce it with golf carts, but not scooters. I also attend the AACA shows at Hershey. They will not let you on the grounds with any motorized device until you present documentation of an impairment. If the motorized device policy was enforced at Carlisle it would probably drop attendance. Personal preference, I use a lightweight manual wheelchair at both venues, get a cardio workout. Some scooter drivers think they're funny when they offer me a tow, and I also get bad jokes if I step out of the chair for rough terrain. At 70, my legs are not great, but I'm still in good shape otherwise, trying to maintain that.

Last edited:
Different crowds. The oem and club folks abound at Carlisle. The Day2 and drag racing guys are at Columbus. I prefer the latter... It's also always 90+ and 90% humidity at the Carlisle show.

It’s more like apples and oranges. Don’t like comparison threads. At least Ohio is more level. Gotta be a billie-goat in Pa. Go to that 1/8 mile track on Sunday morning before the show. Locals and killer cars. Wheels up cars like mine beating Chevies.

ECB56FC0-EBF7-411C-8058-B49A82973331.png

I've never been to the Carlisle show, but have been to the Nats a half dozen times since 91. I DO want to hit Carlisle one of these years though! I think since you have never been to either one, pick one and go with an open mind. I think you will have a great time at either event you chose and will probably be blown away by either one of them! Through a dart at a map and go to the closest one and have fun!!

I went to my first Mopar Nationals when it was outside of Detroit in 1985, and I was hooked. I followed it to Columbus in 1986, with my newly completed 1967 Coronet 440 3-seat wagon. I think we were the only station wagon on the grounds that year. We went most years until the Nats moved to Indy for 1993. For 1992, the organizers were going to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of the 1967 GTX and R/T, Chryslers first package muscle cars, with special group parking, to have all these cars in one spot. I talked a couple of my R/T buddies into pre-registering and attending the event. We received our registration packages in the mail with the special parking pass and a commemorative 25th. licence plate. Columbus is about a 6-your drive from where we live, and after finally getting there, we went to the registration area to find out where the special parking area was. Even after we showed our special pass and commemorative licence plate, the registration people said they knew nothing about it, and said just find a parking spot somewhere. I parked beside an older Oldsmobile that had a Mopar Nationals sticker on the windshield. I was very disappointed! When the Nats moved again to Indy for 1993, we did not follow. We later heard it was a disaster there, with Indy's enthusiastic police force.
We went to Chryslers at Carlisle for the first time in 1993. Although it was twice as far a drive through the mountains and valleys of Pa., the show was worth it. This show was actually very organized with clean washrooms, good food court, and well organized vendor area and show field. There are always themed special displays inside the pavillions, and an organized cars for sale corral. I actually won a 2nd place trophy for '66-'67 Dodge B-body there, a total surprise. I met a lot of good people and bought a lot of needed parts over the years at this show. My only complaint would be the hot, humid weather some years, beyond the control of the organizers. One Friday night, we went to the 1/8 Mile drag strip outside of town, and watched Ronnie Sox face off against Dick Landy in their respective Hemi Barracuda and Hemi Dart. The Drag Racing at Columbus was much better, but I was usually out on the field looking at cars or looking for parts, anyway.
We used to attend the Norwalk Mopar event in September, as well. This was only a 5 hour drive away. There were never much motel accommodation there, so we always stayed North of there, in Sandusky. If you like to see early B-bodies racing, this is the place to go, as there is always a good turnout of these cars. However, the car show and swap meet are pretty dismal. They used to sell a pound of ice cream in a big cup for $1.00, but I understand this has now been discontinued.
If I could only go to one Chrysler car show in the year, it would definitely be Chryslers at Carlisle!

Carlisle 2000.jpg

Thanks to all who replied. I've decided to go to Carlisle Chrysler nationals. From everyones comments it sounds like this is the better show. Plus theres the FBBO tent, so who could resist that. Got to start looking for airfare and hotel now.

The only negative with Carlisle is when it's held; the middle of July when it's hot as hell there. I wish they'd hold it in mid June or late August-early September.

The only thing Carlisle is missing is a drag strip but otherwise a great show. Yes there is a small 1/8 mile one nearby that runs on Friday night but it`s no comparison to a big 1/4 mile tack.

The only thing Carlisle is missing is a drag strip but otherwise a great show. Yes there is a small 1/8 mile one nearby that runs on Friday night but it`s no comparison to a big 1/4 mile tack.
The locals bring out some old school cool cars there though. A nice Sunday AM change up, then back to the Fairgrounds for observing tear down etc. Drink beer. Think that’s my choice for 24.
Closer to the ”kids” in Allentown too. Plan to have the HC with new Florida Tag. Stop by for a beverage. Also, never did find the Fun Field last time. Parked near a perimeter fence lined with Poison Ivy and a couple racer rigs. Nice people.

2C28C50D-6356-41C2-B78F-FC60FECAE57A.jpeg

Last edited:
Time flys, made my decision to go to carlisle back at the end of December. Just booked the flight last night. Looking for Hotel now. Any recommendations, or more important any to stay away from?

Here. Referred by a member. Have not stayed here before.

5AA00492-ED6F-4F68-89F3-5FF94B34FBE4.png

Thanks I'll check it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back