• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance Distributors

Ratroaster

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know who's making the distributors that Mancini and others are
selling as Mopar Performance Distributors. It looks to me like they might be
Proform but not 100% on that. Also, what type of internal mechanical advance
mechanism do they have?

Thanks. RR

I bought this kit a few years ago but I think they are still being made by Proform. Check the part number.
Interals look about the same as a stock distributor but I have not had it fully apart. Springs are light and advance is all in by 2200rpm. Vac advance on these is also pretty bad. I think I measured about 5° crank timing total compared to the oe 340@ 15°. I think rebuilding a stock distributor is a better investment to be honest. Out of this kit, the only part that has not failed is the distributor, and I am planning to replace it with a recurved rebuilt stock dist.

16065053155777355861901676665020.jpg

I bought this kit a few years ago but I think they are still being made by Proform. Check the part number.
Interals look about the same as a stock distributor but I have not had it fully apart. Springs are light and advance is all in by 2200rpm. Vac advance on these is also pretty bad. I think I measured about 5° crank timing total compared to the oe 340@ 15°. I think rebuilding a stock distributor is a better investment to be honest. Out of this kit, the only part that has not failed is the distributor, and I am planning to replace it with a recurved rebuilt stock dist.

View attachment 1032443

Jed,

Thanks for the info. I've heard basically the same about Proform. Where are
you getting rebuilt ones from?

Thanks. RR

I have just rebuilt myself with a new reluctor. I have taken them apart and put the steel parts in evaporust, to clean them. even the aluminium body seems to clean up ok in that stuff... the few cores I have used were in pretty good shape and the bushings and shafts were all still good so if you need more service than that, try a professional. FBO seems like a good option.

LOL

Along with ignition modules - ECUs and of course coils

And you wonder why this **** either works or doesn’t when trying to put together a decent ignition system for the street

Man I miss the Direct Connection years

Yeah it says produced by Bosch, made in Taiwan. I'm sure if it were made in their German plants it would last forever, run like clockwork and be 10X the cost. Pick your poison I guess.

Check with member halifaxhops. He builds distributors and sets them up according to your cars set up.

I think the price of my old school Direct Connection ignition box & distributor is going up. My Blue box & the DC distributor have sat on the shelf for a long time. They were great quality and I think still are.

Auto Transport Service
Back