• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Turquoise Engine Paint

Jerry Hall

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the turquoise engine color changed from the green shade of turquoise to the blue shade of turquoise? All my original 67's and the earlier cars I have seen with original paint are the green shade of turquoise. It seems that 68-71 may have been the blue shade of turquoise. I'm not sure and have no documentation to say one way or the other. I know that the only 72 original car I owned was corporate blue. Anyone with more knowledge than me about this, please speak up. All opinions are welcome too.
If this will get more responses in another part of the forum, please move it.

I was told the best shade for the 67 cars was detroit diesel green

This is rattle can paint btw

As for WHEN it changed. Im of no help

The bottom picture is a little closer to how it looks in person. But it definitly has a little more green tint to it in person than my pics show on my monitor

20220410_132721_resized.jpg

20220407_174447.jpg

Last edited:

The bottom picture is a little closer to how it looks in person. But it definitly has a little more green tint to it in person than my pics show on my monitor

View attachment 1335038

View attachment 1335044
Not even close!

My understanding was the paint colour never changed it's just that time and temperature of the motor and the chemicals used in the paint caused some to fade and change more then others.

Here we go again... Lots of threads on this one. Lots of opinions on what is the "right color". The one from NAPA is more blue. Worked on my '68.

I found enough of my original on a valley pan hold down and had the paint store match it for me

Here we go again... Lots of threads on this one. Lots of opinions on what is the "right color". The one from NAPA is more blue. Worked on my '68.
I looked through a lot of the previous threads, but didn't find a definitive answer. PPG has two paints one is the more green the other is the more blue. I bought a pint of the more green and posted the formula in my build thread. What you see on the engine now is the more blue as I had that on hand. I just used it as a base, so the color will change. My 67 GTX unrestored engine compartment is the more green and the PPG more green matches very good, considering age.

I found enough of my original on a valley pan hold down and had the paint store match it for me

this is what I had made...... pretty darn close to what I found..... I thought this was the greener, but now I'm not so sure........it looked kinda green to me until I saw the picture

11/67 build

turq.jpg

View attachment 1335038

View attachment 1335044

that looks more like pontiac blue IMO

My understanding was the paint colour never changed it's just that time and temperature of the motor and the chemicals used in the paint caused some to fade and change more then others.
This has been my experience too. Comes out of the can with a bluish hue and turn greenish over several heat cycles. I believe I used the Mopar engine paint on this which dries with a blueish hue. Looks like this now Which at least to me has a greenish hue.

BFE56FAA-F6B9-4D62-9AE4-585962062BD5.jpeg

The PPG distributor here works with a Mopar restoration shop. Here’s their formula. Oil pan shot is original paint. 67RT, OCT built. Lighting makes it very hard to tell from a camera. Oil pan is in the sun, engine is under fluorescent light.
F5B892C0-5B55-4E83-8BF6-9EEF4C29F70A.jpeg
2354CF7B-2030-4305-B9C8-D13E5F91A7B0.jpeg
DA58804D-DF3F-4FF6-8752-B4BE0C6CD0DA.jpeg

I’m contemplating painting the 440 for my ‘68 GTX red. Like the 273 in my ‘68 Satellite Wagon.
946281A6-0DD2-4FDB-9A6D-83B450D689B1.jpeg

Yep, Bill Hirsh is spot on. If you have any questions, I bet he could supply some answers/documentation.

This is what I used.

Screenshot 2022-08-29 184951.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-29 185057.jpg

Last edited:
Pic's of my engine as well as a shot from an orig 68 440.

Screenshot 2022-08-29 185936.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-29 190236.jpg

that looks more like pontiac blue IMO
In person it is most definitely not blue .
Its a green with a slight blueish tint depending on lighting.

I'll try to get a picture outside in natural lighting.
But with all the ac stuff back on its hard to get a clear view of the engine itself .
My chrome valve covers dont help that fact either

These are pic's of my engine. I assume this is the orig. paint which looks bluer that the turquoise.

Screenshot 2022-08-29 191131.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-29 191150.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back