• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More of dealing with Vendors

Jetblast

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank those of you who shared real experiences and real frustrations about life with a classic Mopar or any car. I also want to thank you for keeping the experiences real and that should be shared in hopes that a vendor will realize that they are losing business. I think that sometimes they don't even know what they are doing because we just buy somewhere else. That is not always the case, one post mentioned that a vendor that prices a steering gearbox $200. higher than everyone else. He called and told them so because he liked getting other parts from them and wanted to be a loyal customer but was basically told that was their price take it or leave it.
Since I started this thread and stated that I think we should share when we have really good and less than good experience with a vendor Here is mine.
As I have said before I am building a 65 Coronet street car and doing it as well as I can. It is the biggest project I have ever done or probably will do again. I am do a rotisserie job, stroker 440, 4 speed, and pretty nice suspension stuff .
On a pastor retreat to the Smoky Mt. In Tennessee (I live in Kentucky ) I was looking at Craigslist to see if there was anything I couldn't live without and found a stash (3 transmissions, some tail housings and some other stuff in the trunk of our Toyota Avalon, my wife was thrilled). One of the items was an 18 spline transmission which I thought would be a good transmission for the build.
The transmission was in great condition but I wanted to put new seals ,gaskets etc. and when it was time I started looking for the parts. That search took me to Passon Performance's website.
One of the items on their website is an 18 spline "Hemi Overdrive" gear set listed for $1925. This was intriguing to me because I thought I might drive the car more if it had a better gear for highway. What I thought about doing was just rebuild the 18 spline and sell it and put the gear set in a 65 transmission case I had. I emailed them, I think it was on a Friday with questions about whether or not I could do what I wanted to do. On Tuesday I had not received a reply so I called to make sure that I had sent it. The answer from Jamie Passon was that I probably had sent it over the weekend and he had 200 emails to get through. I could understand that and ask that he respond when he could. When he did, he said that I could put it in the case I had and would need a billet bearing retainer.
I responded that I was good with that and sent a list of items that I wanted to buy which included the gear set billet bearing retainer for the 65 case, a rebuild kit for the 18 spline transmission, and a billet bearing retainer for it to replace the cast one. I told him if he would send me an invoice that I would send him a check to save him the credit card fee. A couple of days later an email with a list of prices arrived. The gear set was listed for $2125. I wrote back and ask why the gear set was $200. higher than what was on the web site. No reply. After 4 days I called and asked if he got the email and at first he said he had not received anything but then said he had. I said that while I had him on the phone, I wanted to check on the price difference I thought maybe it had something to do with the older case. He first asked where I got the $1925 price and I told him his website. His response was that it had been different for sometime but that he was not an internet guy. I was somewhat surprised. Anyway I thought about it, still thought it would be a good thing and wrote back and ask once again for an invoice so I could place a $2500. order. That was February 26th and there was no response.
Needless to say I have decided that it was not a good idea to buy the gear set or anything else from Passon Performance and run the really great deal transmission I have.
Bottom line for me is, if they have so much business that they can't respond to a request to spend $2500. with them, that is great for them but I will refrain. I don't think I am needy but I want to at least they wanted my business.
To tell a potential client that the reason that the prices are not correct is that you are not an "internet guy" is silly. I am pretty sure that he didn't build the site and I am quite sure that whoever did could update prices if told to do so.
With respect to lack of communication, I have no answer there. My concern is that if I have to chase you down to buy something, what happens if I have a question about what I buy.
Maybe Passon will respond, maybe not, either way I will not have an overdrive

This article was well written IMO, and I DON'T hear any hate at all. Mr. Jetblast is just calling Mr. Passon to have some ACCOUNTABILITY and INTEGRITY! Sadly those two words have all but disappeared from our English language! Good luck with your build Mr. Jetblast!!!

My experiences with Jamie Passon are very different. He is a small town, small business, and he works with honesty and integrity. He has done some great work for me, and is a stand up guy. I do think in some cases demand has outstripped his ability to respond, especially with his A-855 5 speed.

Sometimes the many hats that a owner wears really get to big to fit. As he probably has someone else watch over the emails as he his overlooking the shop. Of course sometimes I'm sure if its a small town business guy he is on the floor fixing the screw ups from the employees that don't have the heart he does to make things just so so. But when he had a price difference he should have stepped up and honored the price he was sailing it at then told staff to change the web. But as a client we don't care because we are spending our hard earned money and want real results. So what to do go someplace else or put up with what he is sailing you. The right choice is what you are doing and bringing attention to your issue now tomorrow someone else will have a good day with this guy. For me i am making notes as i build my car of good and bads from this forum and then make my judgement on who what and how much to spend. I can only thank everyone of you for the good and bad input because it has really helped me in the way i will build my car

First off, I'm not a vendor per-say. Just a diehard Mopar enthusiast. From time to time I end up with extra parts that I list on FBBO,FABO and other sites. Sometimes I buy a complete car to get one or two parts that I'm needing. Then try to recoup some of my money by selling what I don't need. I hate to see any classic, whether it's a Mopar or not go to the crusher. That being said, I've given more parts away than I've sold over the years. Helping out fellow enthusiasts is what keeps our hobbies going.
Like I said, I'm not a vendor, salvage yard or dealer in any way. It's rewarding, for me, to know I've help someone with their dream of building a car.
I just wish people would understand there is an investment (time, electricity, welding gases, cut-off wheels, and then the time and expense to ship) on the seller's end.
I've got hoods, fenders, cowl panels, dutchman panels, glass,etc, that were pulled for people that you never hear from again.
Enough, I'm getting all worked up over stuff that's just not that important.

Dart,
I hear what you are saying and do exactly the same thing and hope to continue doing so. You are correct that when you put time, effort, and gas into something there is no reason that you should pay to sell something.
As for Passon, I don't hate him or anyone else, or at least try not too. Nor was I complaining about the what he thought his set was worth but rather that it was advertised as one price and selling for another. Just a note here, I was trying to but a gear set not a transmission. This may sound upside down but I am not trying to hurt any honest vendor or seller but rather keep them from hurting themselves. Jamie Passon is obviously a very talented guy and undoubtedly a good guy but we really are not talking about is he a good guy but rather a good business man.
I still would like to share with each other when we have good experiences with Vendors and put the brakes on the ones who push poor quality stuff, over charge for NOS or used parts and or services.
There will always be those to who money is no object but I have to believe that most of us have to support our habit by sacrificing other things and that is not a bad thing. But the reality is that the sport, hobby what ever it is to you it is getting beyond the reach of many, even on an entry level and if enough people give up on it, there will be no swap meets, Reproduction parts, or people to buy anything..
Think it is not a problem.. Look at the NHRA and the major stock car folks. Attendance at meets and races is going down and they are finding getting sponsors more and more difficult. Is your 20 something year olds sharing any love for cars or car sports other than buying something? Mine is not and I think that is the rule rather than the exception.

Auto Transport Service
Back