• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More people moved to Vermont than any other state in 2023....

Up until 10-15 years ago, had been rather certain I wanted to move to a warmer climate. A few friends moved to TX, AZ, and FL. When we moved our daughter to Miami (during the summer) the weather there didn’t seem so nice, unless liking high humidity and hot. My bud that lives in AZ says doing much outdoors in the summer is better early mornings, not much beyond. They come back here for around 6-weeks in the summer visiting family & friends…to get a break from the heat.

Granted winters there are great, visiting our kid in FL and friends in AZ Feb-Mar was nice. Having done a lot of biz travel to the south and west, got to thinking there are trade-offs either way. Being retired, the early morning plowing, shoveling, and crap roads during rush-hour to get to work is behind spending a lot winter in my heated garage. Do all the in-door stuff then that piles up to spend more time outside in the summer. As such, no more plans to be moving to the states everyone is moving to.

It's strange given that WI isn’t a move-to state, the development here has been nuts! Endless new subdivisions, apartments, condo’s, existing homes snatched up fast, often selling higher than the asking prices. We say where is everyone coming from when the population figures doesn’t seem to answer the question?
WI has so many illegals moving in it makes your head spin.
Maybe not where people are looking. The fox valley, and surprisingly wausau area(and to the west where all the meat packing plants are) are sprawling like mad and population of ......not traditional WI ethnicity.... is booming.
Some of the noticable stuff is because city planning is flat out retarded in this state, pushed 100% by property tax rates. Most areas have ordinance in place where you are not allowed to build a single family home unless it hits a certain square foot threshold or tax value. Hence McMansions in the hills and apartments sprawling all over near more urban areas. The neighbor's farmland on the edge of town gets rezoned so it can sell cheap to add more tax money to the area.
For every 10 McMansions in the hills that sell for ooga booga dollars, 10 giant apartment buildings are set up in urban sprawl. "When I grow up, I am going to rent an apartment with my live in girlfriend on the edge of urban sprawl and we will have a tiny dog and share a used car" is not the American dream I was raised with, but it is how the left run urban centers have set it up. Kings in the hills and slaves in the city.

The tallest building in Appleton is what, like 10 stories? And from the 50's. NO ONE is rebuilding downtown, or even the existing parts of the fox valley, it has almost sprawled 10 miles west and 20 miles north, I think you wait about ten more years and GB and the valley will be one mega sprawl with no country in between. Used to be a 45 minute highway drive through farmland, not even 15 years ago. 4-6 lane roads and it is down to 25 minutes and you're lucky to see a mile stretch without a parking lot.
Wages are in the basement. I have long said GB is the bullseye of the entire country. Any economic changes in the works start from the outside and hit GB dead last. So inflation held off(it is here now), but wages will hold off even longer. So no one here can afford anything while the rest of the country works it's way to adjust. Sometimes the stability is nice, sometimes it makes it feel like you are wasting your life.

Highway 45 is the drug corridor from Chicago to the rest of the state. between 29 and 90-94, and 41/141, they can distribute to most of the populated areas. 45 hits all the stops for the distribution per region. This has made small town life here much less attractive than it was 20 years back. The way the ordinance are set up, and the way there is so much "paid off" things going on, the solution the wealthy have taken is to build a new McMansion on the outskirts of town, pass a referendum for a new school on their side of town, and then abandon the old town to the poor and drugs. Police will sit and worry about a 5mph speed limit law for hours while drug deals happen in the grocery store parking lot in broad daylight in a town of 3000 with 8-12 officers on staff.

People can't handle the winter, people can't handle the summer. Don't know too many other places where the temp swings from -25F(or worse) to 100+F. It is always green in the summer, and always frozen solid for winter. It has major upsides, but you have to love the weather and either love urban sprawl or have the means to afford a rural place, which mostly means a job in a tiny town with a limited skillset so you aren't basic labor. That is a very difficult sell to get anyone to move in when looking for skilled labor, and tends to limit growth as more young people can't wait to leave than stay every year.
So the voting centers are booming with people being "delivered" to them, and the rural areas that make 99% of the state have little say in how anything goes or taxes or laws. As planned, of course. It makes my stomach churn to see how this all has developed in the last 20 years. The state WILL turn hard blue, all the history of swing state is aggressively being "worked on".
We actually NEED normal people to move here, but "fly over" stigmas from the coasties and difficulty in finding a home to move to are preventing healthy growth, which means the only growth we notice is NOT healthy and it's really starting to be the only growth. So I am not particularily surprised. We are rapidly being outnumbered by the "not normal" people, and once it gets to a certain point it will be impossible to entice normal people to come in.

We live in the High Desert of Arizona , the heat is not as bad as Phoenix area , our winters are mild and we do get snow but it is usely gone in a day. Compared to Chicago it’s a walk in the park

My SIL just moved to Vermont a few weeks ago. Bought a nice place on 57 acres. She is in a "good" area I believe as I saw a large building near her that has painted on it "BETTER FOR WHO?"

WI has so many illegals
Don’t know. The homes and apartments going up all over are expensive. Some apartments have insane rent $1500-$2,500 a month. Cookie-cutters trying to look cute built over ground-floor retail space that stays largely vacant. Many houses are $400k to a million on small lots. I traveled all over WI for years doing by biz. One of my clients was Abbyland Foods in Abbotsford – middle of nowhere – I used to wonder about where in the hell they found all their multiple-100’s of workers, largely Hispanic and many didn’t speak English with a horrendous turnover rate. This is 10-15 years ago already. Didn’t like them as a client to put it mildly; but biz was biz.

Anyway, whoever is building the homes and renting these apartments (I’m referring to) can’t be working at Mac’s and convenience stores, unless they own them, lol.

Don’t know. The homes and apartments going up all over are expensive. Some apartments have insane rent $1500-$2,500 a month. Cookie-cutters trying to look cute built over ground-floor retail space that stays largely vacant. Many houses are $400k to a million on small lots. I traveled all over WI for years doing by biz. One of my clients was Abbyland Foods in Abbotsford – middle of nowhere – I used to wonder about where in the hell they found all their multiple-100’s of workers, largely Hispanic and many didn’t speak English with a horrendous turnover rate. This is 10-15 years ago already. Didn’t like them as a client to put it mildly; but biz was biz.

Anyway, whoever is building the homes and renting these apartments (I’m referring to) can’t be working at Mac’s and convenience stores, unless they own them, lol.
The abbeyland phenomenon is spread out into many communities over there. My brother lives in Marshfield, they have 7 mexican restaurants.....
And some of the expensive rentals? Yeah people get put in there and paid for by "helpers". Last time I was in the DMV, a 60 year old white lady with pearls, a gold bracelet, diamond earings and a fancy suit coat outfit was there with two hispanic men in their late 20's to "help" them get ID's, she was showing them where to look on their gov't issued phone for the info they needed. They did not speak english.
One side of things love to "help".

Auto Transport Service
Back