• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Taxes On The Way for Internet Sales

Like a state collecting on line taxes is going to put them in the black. The more they make the more they spend so they'll be looking for another way to rob us. Probably increase sales tax. If they hadn't increased it so much maybe we could buy from local retailer. I bought a crate hemi in 2002 in MI and gave the dealer a certified check for $10,000 so being out of state didn't have to pay $800 in taxes.

In 2016 Oklahoma passed a law that requires sales tax for online purchases. Some online retailers, like Amazon, choose to collect the appropriate State's sales tax and submit it to the respective State's tax agency. The citizen is responsible for a "Use Tax" for online purchases where the retailer chose not to charge and submit the sales tax.

So, I just got my Oklahoma Sales and Use Tax Annual Notice from Summit Racing. On the back side it lists all purchases for the 2018 tax period but does not exclude shipping charges which are non-taxable. This means I have to look up each of my 12 online orders and calculate the tax on the total excluding the shipping. What a pain in the seat cushions!

Last edited:
Are you sure shipping charges are not taxable ?? Shipping is labor and labor is taxable. In Canada, if we purchase goods from the US and they get taxed, they are taxed at the cost including shipping.

Recieved a statement from Summit that stated I had items shipped to Pa. and they didn't take out any tax. There was an itemized list of parts and what I paid attached. They are sending a report to Pa. Department of Revenue.

I looked up Pa. sales tax and it's 6% plus another 1% in some cases, plus certain counties charge an additional 2%. $300 plus spent, $20 in taxes what a pita for 20 bucks.

Kinda makes me wonder why someone like Summit doesn't tax at source, collect interest on the money for who-knows-how-long then submit the tax to the appropriate state. One batch of paperwork per state as opposed to each individual customer !!!

Kinda makes me wonder why someone like Summit doesn't tax at source, collect interest on the money for who-knows-how-long then submit the tax to the appropriate state. One batch of paperwork per state as opposed to each individual customer !!!

I didn't notice if they had an option when ordering parts, to have taxes added.

I was making light of the fact your state has a state income tax and mine does not.
It ain't all that.
Seriously? That’s awesome. Never knew some states didn’t have that.

Are you sure shipping charges are not taxable ?? Shipping is labor and labor is taxable. In Canada, if we purchase goods from the US and they get taxed, they are taxed at the cost including shipping.
Yes, I'm sure. The instructions for completing the tax form says "Do not include transportation charges".

Summit tax.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't notice if they had an option when ordering parts, to have taxes added.
Nope. When this all started a big pop up showed up on my order window before I purchased from Summit. Told me they report, do not collect, and it was up to me for reporting to PA @ tax time.

Did you get any others besides Summit? I got Summit and Crutchfield, no others.

Hmmm, come to think of it maybe there were no others...:rolleyes:

Sounds like I need to start using Jegs. Didn’t get a letter from them.

Nope. When this all started a big pop up showed up on my order window before I purchased from Summit. Told me they report, do not collect, and it was up to me for reporting to PA @ tax time.

Did you get any others besides Summit? I got Summit and Crutchfield, no others.

Hmmm, come to think of it maybe there were no others...:rolleyes:

I haven't received any others, yet.

Order by phone, ha,ha,ha, there's no escaping the tax man.

I just got one from Crutchfield today. I'm like WTF ?

The compliance costs for this bullshit have to be enormous.

I see this tax thing as a somewhat good thing so instead of everyone buying off line to save a few bucks they shop locally now and help support the local economy ! Why should I buy crap on line and let people in CA get rich when I can get it here and keep people in my area having a job !

Auto Transport Service
Back