• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

motor and trans from Winnebago

c3ntral_scrutiniz3r

Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know if the 727 transmission used in older Winnebago's work in the 68-70 mopar b-body cars? In particular, I am wondering about a 73 winnebago whose running/driving 413 and 727 were removed - and wanted to know if I could take the trans to replace in my road runner. But I thought the 727s came in long shaft and short shaft versions, and Im afraid I do not know what I need - or what the motorhomes come with. Thanks for any tips.

It should be the same thing. Only possibility I can think of is the tail shaft might have a bolt on yoke rather than a slip yoke. The only short shaft TF's I recall seeing are the ones used in the Iveco diesel trucks.

The 413 engine may have the water pump that also mounts to the heads. I've seen short tail shaft transmissions in motor homes....they also came in Club Cab pickups with the two piece drive shaft....usually long beg Clubs.

Makes sense and that's probably what ended up in the Iveco. Now I wonder if the motor home tranny has the HEMI internals with 4 gear planetaries.

why don't you just rebuild the original trans., it's not worth the trouble.

you DO have the original trans.?

The motorhome transmissions that I've seen all have a short tail shaft housing with a brake drum mounted to the rear yoke (additional parking brake for holding large vehicle.) All of the car 727's should have the longer tail shaft with a slip yoke. I have seen other short shaft 727's, but they were in 4 wheel drive pickups. The 4X4 trucks used a shorter tail shaft to make room for a short drive line between the transmission and transfer case in the days before they started putting the transfer case on the transmission.

I have a couple motorhome transmissions, but I haven't opened them up to see what they have for internals. I'm hoping to find the heavy duty parts like the Hemi's had.

Dodge41969: no, my car does not have orig. motor or trans. It was a 383/3sp manual car that was converted to 440/727 by some previous owner.

The transmission I had asked about measured at 31 3/4", and the 727 trans in my roadrunner measured 36" from face of bellhousing to rear of output shaft. The Winnebago trans also had a drum brake attached to the rear yoke, and the 413 motor that it was attached to did have the waterpump attached to cyl. heads as Cranky suggested. So now I know - and am passing on these items. Thanks for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back