• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor-plate sealing recommendations

2quick

Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm installing the 572 this weekend and was having issues with the motor plate leaking at the water pump. What would be the best way to seal it up without worry of leaking?
Aluminum block / Motorplate / Meziere water pump / ARP studs

Felpro Gaskets on either side?
Gaskets and sealant on both sides of gasket?
No Gaskets, Just sealant?
What sealant? I like Permatex (Right Stuff) but maybe something else?
Should I sand the mounting surfaces of the water pump. Meziere pumps or very slippery and I feel like the sealant has nothing to grab.

Rough them up and use RTV. Two piece plates are the worse. I found that marking both sides of the plate for a gasket and then taking a dremel tool with a pointed carbide and grinding circles in the plate around the ports. This allows the RTV to have a area to bite into simulating an o-ring. Studs into the block allow a more rigid less flexible mounting. Get is all ready and nut it up just snug. 24 hour cure and torque the nuts to 25 to 30 foot pounds. Gaskets with sealer fail quicker they like to mush out.

I have mine studed so it all slides on easily. Thin layer of sealant on both sides of gasket #1 & slide on , then slide on front plate, thin layer of sealant on gasket #2 & slide on, then slide on water pump and screw on nuts.

I glue the gaskets to both sides of the plate. All surfaces are clean and flat, and I've never had one leak.

Felpro Gaskets on either side?
Gaskets and sealant on both sides of gasket?
thats what i do and no leaks. Black silicone. just make sure u have complete coverage with no bald spots or bubbles.

One piece plate. Superformance gaskets probably worth the wait. These Felpro one are thin and not really shaped to filt.

FYI for anyone looking for ARP studs for motor plate here’s the part# 250-3011. They are for a 9” ford pinion support. They work for bell-housing also!

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2461.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

How thick is the motor plate?
I had one that was 1/4" and developed leaks over time. Made one out of 3/8" and never leaked again.

Never mind that don’t work, nuts are too big to get socket on if using Meziere water pump!!!

IMG_2465.jpeg

No gaskets. Clean surfaces. Ultra Grey sealer. Same exact set-up as yours. Been doing it with this motor 12 years. Over a 1000 passes. Zero leaks ever.
Doug

a big hammer to take it apart with no gaskets ...
Thats why the oil pan gets a gasket. The motor plate comes off easy with a light tap of the dead blow, not much surface area. I would never scratch my stuff. Just had it off to mount a bigger alternator.
Doug

54537.jpeg

Thats why the oil pan gets a gasket. The motor plate comes off easy with a light tap of the dead blow, not much surface area. I would never scratch my stuff. Just had it off to mount a bigger alternator.
Doug

View attachment 1645712
looking good,,,,i threw that out there because i have weiand tunnel ram that somebody glued together the top and bottom with blue silicone no gaskets that so far cannot be taken apart short of putting it in a press ???

looking good,,,,i threw that out there because i have weiand tunnel ram that somebody glued together the top and bottom with blue silicone no gaskets that so far cannot be taken apart short of putting it in a press ???
My intake is two piece as well. The first time I tried to seperate it Iwas stumped. Even using a pry bar and a block of wood under the 1/2" carb shear plate wouldn't budge it. It wanted to bend the plate. It was stuck but good. Ended up drilling 4 1/16" holes parallel to the gasket surface in the lid right at the edge. Then broke the holes open by pounding a screwdriver in the "drilled slot". When it was apart the slot was filed nive3/32" deep by 5/16" wide. Now there is a notch to pop it apart. It just gets filled with Ultra-Grey. If you look real close at the gap just to the right of the fuel line you can see the notch.
Doug

20190113_122025.jpg

The only issue with studs is you have to have so much clearance to radiator if water pump housing needs to come off in engine bay for any reason without removing radiator.

I can’t get the water pump off without removing radiator no matter what, it has about an 1/8 clearance and falls between the fans. The issue without the studs (and why I’m installing them) is when I remove the water pump for whatever reason, the engine falls down and is a real pain to line back up. Also tears gaskets if engine moves on back side between plate and block.

Auto Transport Service
Back