• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MP 509 cam, likes dislikes?

blackblazer717

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Whats everyones feedback on this cam?
Hows the idle? Choppy, rouch, smooth,? Looking for a 2400 to 6000 rpm cam.... Engines a 440, MP1 intake, 750 holley, 904 heads, 3000 stall, with 391 gears and a 26" tire.
Hows the stree manners?
Customer is lookin for a real lopey funny car idle with decent street manners
Thanks all.

I placed the .509 Camshaft (292/292-108) in a 9.75:1 451 W/ 750DP, ported 231 (motor home) Heads, and a Performer RPM intake manifold, longtubes, and 3" exhaust. The car has 4.10 gears, 4 speed, with 28" tall DR's. The idle sounds ridiculous, but the cam has so much overlap/duration, it is real lazy below 2500 RPM (and is still kicking around 2000RPM). I would suggest a 3,500RPM-4,000RPM stall converter for an automatic, otherwise, you'll need a good clutch for street driving. Love the cam, but if he is looking for a "street" camshaft and doesn't have the gearing or stall, it isn't the best choice. It's in a B-Body (1969 Roadrunner) and is ONLY driven on the street.

Good point. I figured based on the specs that the stall was gunna be a bit low. Nd im sure power brakes will suffer a bit. Maybe ill get him the 484 purple shaft, a little milder

I had a .509 in a 383, single plane, TCI 10" street fighter convertor with 3.91's. With that convertor and gears it had no issues at all. There are cams that run better and make more power, but VERY few sound better than the ole Purple Shaft. The thing you really don't have to worry about, especially in a 440, is a lack of torque. Running a .509 in my Coronet R/T with a 4speed and 3.54 gear, but haven't had it on the road yet. Sounds wicked, though.

Good read cranky. As for the cam decision for the stall and gears it should be fine. And the goofballs more after sound than performance. But over the bump stick thats in it now, will definNtly outperform that one ten fold

My late friend had one in his 440 Long Ram Swinger with a 3200 converter,4.10 gears and 28 inch tires. Really snotty sounding.

I have a .508 cam in my 340 Dart with the factory intake and Thermoquad along with a 3300 converter, 4.10 gears and 245/60/14 tires.

And I agree with Cranky, it sounds really wild but smaller and newer cams are better.

Good read cranky. As for the cam decision for the stall and gears it should be fine. And the goofballs more after sound than performance. But over the bump stick thats in it now, will definNtly outperform that one ten fold
Yeah, never understood wanting the sounds but who cares about the performance mentality. Told many to just unhook a vacuum hose if ya want bad sounding lol.

My late friend had one in his 440 Long Ram Swinger with a 3200 converter,4.10 gears and 28 inch tires. Really snotty sounding.

I have a .508 cam in my 340 Dart with the factory intake and Thermoquad along with a 3300 converter, 4.10 gears and 245/60/14 tires.

And I agree with Cranky, it sounds really wild but smaller and newer cams are better.
A cam can change it's sound based on where it's degreed in at. More advance usually smooths them out whereas a retarded setting makes them more lumpy. This also moves the power band up or down some. Advanced makes the engine come alive earlier in the rpm. Btw, for those that do not understand cam degrees, advance vs retarding has nothing to do with ignition timing but it all plays a part in the final tune of the complete package.

I also want to note than the cam was degreed by Carolina Machine Engines. To be honest, I am apart of the "sound" crowd. I don't want a 'monster camshaft that sounds like a kitty cat. The .509 camshaft performs very well for what it is intended for (cast iron headed big block with 70's era performance parts) and gets all the looks when you pull up at the cruise in. Like I said, with a 3500+ stall and 4.10/4.30+ gearing, you would be perfectly fine. What you lose down low with a 440, you are going to gain on top end if your combination is right (where it actually matters) and with a 4.10 or 4.30 gear you won't need to worry about the low end. I couldn't imagine running this cam in a car, without 3.91(min)+ rear end gears (it would be a nightmare trying to leave a red light.) If you own the direct connection performance manual, the .509 camshaft flat outperforms the .484 lift camshaft in a very basic, stage IV iron headed combination by a considerable ET margin. Power brakes aren't going to happen (from all the articles i have read). Just goes along with running a race camshaft on the street.

I have the 509 in my 440 and I really like it. I dont have to worry about the converter since my cars has a 5spd. in it and my car has manual brakes so I cant speak for that either, but it sounds good and performs very well in my motor and the torque you get around 3800 to 4500 gets the big ol girl moving in a hurry. I have a 4.10 gear and agree with a higher gear it may be a sluggish out of the hole.

On a more promising note ive decided on..484 108*. I think for his setup it will work better, and still sound pritty snotty. I agree theres better cams now, but he wants a Purple shaft.

That sounds like a great compromise. 68* overlap vs. 76* overlap on the .509 purple shaft. Should still sound like a "hot" performance cam at idle, but still give you the ability to run power brakes and more streetable stall converters and rear end gearing. The difference in ET was a tenth of a second, and a 1.5MPH gain going from the .484 to the .509 hydraulic (direct connection engine manual). So in reality, you really aren't compromising much on the track either.

Cranky,
Best of both worlds.......

Long Rams on a 'warmed-up' 440 with a .509 cam.

'Traction Challenged' is the best description.

Big Daddy and Dennis Gage thought it was really neat.

PA241353.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back