• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6 Box, New Vs older

My New MSD box has failed

• Total voters
I remember routinely changing points, and condenser, in the old days. You knew the new parts were better than the old , and the new condenser would last longer than the old one.
That's certainly no longer true. Points may be changed, but a functional old condenser is staying, and the old points are NOT getting thrown away!
Good call they really dont go bad, points are usually good for around 10 K miles. Like we run these things that far right?

When I first got the '70 GTX, RS23V0A******, the prior owner had installed a MSD 6C, under the battery tray...the MSD with the Mopar type 5 prong plug on one end and triggered by a Mopar electronic distributor. My fix was to: remove ALL MSD stuff, including the distributor wiring etc....and deposit all that stuff in the round file.....went back to the origional Prestolite dual point distributor, coil, ballast resistor zbd wiring.....abd NEVER looked back AND do not regret doing so......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON
And what was the reason?

And what was the reason?
IMO.....There was absolutely no advantage to MSD system vs the origional Prestolite dual point distributor. At higher RPM levels, MSD, (originally stood for: Multiple Spark Discharge) can only provide one (1) spark per cylinder, maybe 2-3 sparks per cylinder at lower RPMs. Everyone claims that it produces: easier starting, smoother idle, and "BLAZING HP INCREASES"..?.... For me, I saw no apparent change in performance and other aspect......the Prestolite dual point distributor (recurved) will run up to 6500 RPM, without missing a beat, starts easily, idles @ 1200 RPM as the cam allows......WHY would I want to change/fix something that doesn't need fixed or changed......and every 2 years or so, I'll pull the distributor, install new poihts re-install and go do fown the road. The MSD proponents can believe what they want.....i'll stay with the original Prestolite dual point distributor, Mopar coil and ballast resistor plus it's origional and I really don't care what anyone else thinks or says.......
BOB RENTON

Many years back @ the Spring Fling I bought an early NOS MSD box with the Chrysler plug. I recall it came with a jumper wire to bypass the ballast resistor. I made a small template for a metal mounting plate and shock mounts. I wired it all in my 70RR replaceing my Mopar chrome box, but I did have to retime it as the MSD box did change the timing a few degrees. But after running it for a few months I went back to the chrome box, my 70 RR just seemed to start better and run smoother compared to the MSD box. I gave the MSD box to a close mopar friend and he installed it on his old Dodge power wagon, still running today..

Just my $0.02...

Out of all three polls looks like around a quarter of the new ones fail.

I think the cost of failure, especially if out on a road trip, would be a deterrent to buying an msd. Of course one could carry a point distributor with them for backup. Electronic Mopar stuff can fail but a few bucks for a backup/get you home box is cheaper than hundreds. I have a Jacob's box laying around here that will let you run their box and a Mopar box together so if one fails you simply plug in the other and go home, plus a nifty anti-theft.

In the wiring diagram on the one I have has how to wire it so you can use your stock ignition. That says something.

Auto Transport Service
Back