• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Msd 6AL key power, no crank power

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
I have a msd 6AL, msd distributor, coil, wires, the whole setup. I have the small red wire (key power) hooked up and tested it. Great spark following msd testing instructions. However, when I crank the engine to start it, the msd box switches off and I lose spark. I know Chrysler has a key vs crank power system but where should I hook this wire up to to make sure it has both key and crank power? I’m basically a monkey when it comes to electrical so apologies in advance if I get confused easily. This setup is on a BB low deck 470 stroker in 64 sport fury. Tons of the original electrical was pulled out, no voltage regulator, no ballast resister, one wire alternator, etc to make it as simple as possible with this MSD setup.

Thanks in advance.

The wires that went to either side of the bal res need to be connected together & then connected to the thin red wire of the 6AL.

The wires that went to either side of the bal res need to be connected together & then connected to the thin red wire of the 6AL.
And that will take care of both key and crank power?

Previously, on my MSD 6A the heavy red went to the post on the starter relay, and the thin red was connected to the old blue coil wire for keyed trigger. Worked fine with non-bypassed ballast.

Previously, on my MSD 6A the heavy red went to the post on the starter relay, and the thin red was connected to the old blue coil wire for keyed trigger. Worked fine with non-bypassed ballast.

Ya that’s similar to how I have it now but doesn’t keep spark on crank

Using wires on both sides of the old ballast resistor worked. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Good to hear that you got it fixed.

When I swapped to a 6AL I gutted the ballast resistor and soldered a length of wire in place of the resistor to provide full voltage in the crank and run position.

Auto Transport Service
Back