• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Atomic EFI just installed

68coronet

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
I just got done with the maiden voyage with the MSD Atomic EFI. All I can say is WOW what a difference so far. Still a few things to work out but overall very happy with it. I am running a .030 over 440 with 11:1 pistons, .590 lift solid roller cam with roller rockers, ported, polished and shaved Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock intake, TTI 1 7/8" headers, TTI 3" exhaust with 40 series 2 chamber mufflers, MSD ignition, and now just added EFI ( took off a 830 Quick Fuel if anyone is interested in it) in a car with a 4 spd and 3.91 gears. Installed the high horsepower pump kit with a return. I might change it over to the Aeromotive phantom pump later but for right now it works well. Had to upgrade the charging system because of the draw from the pump and glad I did because now I got to install my electric fan set up from Wizard Cooling which is cool as ****( 4 9" fans that move a lot of air). I have the MSD controlling the fans and the fuel pump and with the upgraded charging system what a difference. So we took a trip that we did last year and I just remember how much fuel it cost not mpg. Last year cost $130 this year it was $70 and much more enjoyable. The throttle response is great and idling is great too. I think the best part is jumping in and turning the key and she comes to life and idles. No more pumping the gas, letting it warm up. Just get in and go. I usually don't post anything on stuff I have added but after this experience I just had too. The install was easy once I figured out where to mount the pump and the control module. All in all very easy and definitely worth it.

sounds very interesting. How did you manage to get the "return line" into the tank ? Came the "KIT" completly with all the stuff needed..or did you had to buy some more parts ?

Greetings Juergen

sounds very interesting. How did you manage to get the "return line" into the tank ? Came the "KIT" completly with all the stuff needed..or did you had to buy some more parts ?

Greetings Juergen

I had a sending unit already installed with 2 fittings, when I was running the carb it was blocked off, so I ran the supplied -6 hose to the back and reduced it to 5/16 fuel hose and clamped it.

I actually had to buy 3 different "kits" and then a couple fittings. I bought the throttle body kit without the pump, then I bought the high horsepower pump kit which came with 15 ft of push lock -6 hose , and the regulator kit which also came with 15 ft of hose. The extras were less than $100, some more 90 degree fittings and then a -6 to 5/16 hose barb.

I ,ve installed the Fast Ez efi in my 496 Super Bee and quite happy with the results as well,some tuning with the hand held,upgraded charging system to maintain 14.0 volts, MSD 6A ignition etc.My upgrade was to port injection and 42 lb injectors.
I sumped my gas tank and used the sender as the return.I,ve noticed smoother idle,throttle response,mpg improvement .I like the monitoring and tuning from the drivers seat .
Nice to see members happy with efi results ,the kits seem to be improving over the last couple of years.

Attachments

• 496 stroker EFI 014.jpg
    496 stroker EFI 014.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 823
  • 496 stroker EFI 017.jpg
    496 stroker EFI 017.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 823
  • efi stroker instal 006.jpg
    efi stroker instal 006.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 807
How much do these kits cost? Also how long did install take?

Great job, by the way!

Mike

How much do these kits cost? Also how long did install take?

Great job, by the way!

Mike

I just saw one in the JEGS catalog for $2234? a little over $2k, I will have to wait until next year

I ,ve installed the Fast Ez efi in my 496 Super Bee and quite happy with the results as well,some tuning with the hand held,upgraded charging system to maintain 14.0 volts, MSD 6A ignition etc.My upgrade was to port injection and 42 lb injectors.
I sumped my gas tank and used the sender as the return.I,ve noticed smoother idle,throttle response,mpg improvement .I like the monitoring and tuning from the drivers seat .
Nice to see members happy with efi results ,the kits seem to be improving over the last couple of years.

Beautiful. Is that the Vic EFI intake or you have bungs welded into a base Vic?

Info on the alternator upgrade?

How you like that fuel line?

I've been considering a port system as well...

I got mine for a decent deal. $1900 for the throttle body kit and about $750 for the pump kit and regulator kit.

Beautiful. Is that the Vic EFI intake or you have bungs welded into a base Vic?

Info on the alternator upgrade?

How you like that fuel line?

I've been considering a port system as well...

I purchased mine from Competition Components in Michigan. Scott has different kit forms available afford-ably priced. The tunnel ran Edelbrock will fit under the stock hood as was seen at New Hamburg Moparfest last summer
I used a GM CS 130 single wire alternator picked up from a local starter -alternator repair shop,modified the shims to align the belt and a straighter lower bracket. The fuel line is efi rated in fastened a long side the 3/8 hard line. Easy to instal but pricey using Russell 6an fittings
http://www.buyracingparts.com/induc...-retrofit-kit-big-block-mopar-multi-port.html

Attachments

• Moparfest 2013 074.jpg
    Moparfest 2013 074.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 842
  • GM CS130 alternator to 440 Mopar 002.jpg
    GM CS130 alternator to 440 Mopar 002.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 733
  • 496 stroker EFI 018.jpg
    496 stroker EFI 018.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 712
Very cool stuff - lets see some pics of the MSD Atomic EFI

pics would be great. I am considering the Atomic. For those of you that upgraded the charging system what exactly did you do?

Do I need to worry about wiring melting when upgrading the alternator?

The Atomic kicks ***. I have had my kit installed on my 440 for some time now.

68Coronet: Have you utilized the Atomic ignition timing control feature yet? I eventually did once I knew all was working well.

It wasn't exactly a weekend project for me as i added new 3/8 supply and return fuel lines and added an in-tank electric fuel pump assembly. i may have purchased the Aeromotive in-tank fuel pump assembly if it was out during the time of my install. Ohh well....will do on next mopar.

im gonna have to research this Wizard Cooling system now :cya:

hey douggrief, just replied to your PM.

Been looking at aftermarket EFI for some time - have not pulled the trigger yet.

What made you go with Atomic over the others out there?

Plaz

Been looking at aftermarket EFI for some time - have not pulled the trigger yet.

What made you go with Atomic over the others out there?

Plaz

My reason is in my message to another fbbo member (other info on my setup is in there as well. See below:

The system has been working great (even from the point of installation).

I am using this on a 440cu (stock) with a 727 trans (stock).

I did not do any charging system upgrades. I did make sure that the engine-to-chasis grounding was solid so I added an extra grounding line from the block to the chassis.

I did a bunch of research on the atomicefi.com web forum before I made the purchase. I had already performed an MSD electronic ignition upgrade on the car sometime before so that is why i was leaning toward the atomic system but i gave a long solid look at the holley and ezefi throttle body efi systems during my information gathering stage.

In the end i went with the Atomic as i had my questions answered by numerous users and msd tech support on the atomicefi forum and again as i had the msd ignition setup. I felt getting my questions answered ahead of time weighed heavily prior to making my purchase. The community on that forum is pretty active just like here so getting answers was pretty quick. Some of my questions on the other forums went unanswered even by the tech support staff (things may have changed since then -- i don't know).

Anyhow, after research i found that using an efi system with a single supply line and in-line fuel pump ran the risk of pump overheating (i saw this on all brands of efi systems) as well as trouble with hot starts. So, i knew going into the upgrade that i was going to run new 3/8 supply and return fuel lines (hard lines) and install an in-tank electric fuel pump. I knew adding both of those pieces to the fuel system was not going to make this a simple weekend project so i was prepared for that.

For the pump i used an tanksinc.com pa4 in-tank pump system with a summit electric fuel pump relay kit that was being triggered on by the Atomic power unit (i think that is what it is called). Since the time of my install Aeromotive came out with an in-tank fuel pump system called the Stealth 340 i think. Had the Stealth been out i may have used that one. However, there have been zero issues with my tanksinc one and it uses a Walbro pump (a very respected/reliable brand).

Since I purchased the "basic" Atomic kit i needed to purchase my own fuel pressure regulator and so i used an aeromotive one.

An oxygen sensor will need to be installed in the exhaust as well (all brands of efi need this). The basic Atomic kit will provide one.

The Atomic has the ability to control engine timing. I eventually converted the distributor to enable this feature sometime after I knew everything was working correctly. I programmed in the idle speed i wanted (750 rpm) and on start up I click the key on and the car fires right up and a second or two later the atomic controls air/fuel and timing to meet my 750 rpm and everything just purrs. No more playing with gas pedal anymore (i may miss that --- not really).

As with any system it is possible to make install errors or set up errors and have less than ideal results.

For any efi system I would add an in-tank fuel pump and a return fuel line. It may add time to the project but adds to the reliability overall.

The Atomic system works awesome and I recommend using it.

Take your time and download install instructions/parts lists and browse some of the chat forums for all brands. Thats what i did. It really gives you a heads up on any extra items you may need beforehand so you can get extra tools/parts needed. Also, i found it helpful to get install instructions printed and look at the car with instructions in hand. I could visually see where i needed to route wiring (i could see if i needed some clamps here and there) and I could see what options were available for mounting the ecu (engine bay versus interior -- this also showed me if any other mounting hardware was needed).

Take your time and plan it out.

Hope this helps.

2 Grand for EFI? No thanks. If I need to jump in and go, I'll use the new Challenger.

I'm hoping to get there someday but I'll agree the $2000.00 pill is hard to swallow. With the current fuel it's really a must if you expect to have excellent drivability.

Wait a minute......people will spend 2k on heads, suspension, interior, paint/body (usually a lot more), rims/tires, trans, rear end, but buck at 2k for efi, sorry, I'm not getting it.

Wait a minute......people will spend 2k on heads, suspension, interior, paint/body (usually a lot more), rims/tires, trans, rear end, but buck at 2k for efi, sorry, I'm not getting it.

Well $500 or so for a carb is way cheaper than 2k. Plus it's so much fun waiting for the car to warm up and the choke to fully open, kick it down from hi idle, etc. So your expensive big block doesn't fall flat on it's face when you step on the gas and embarrass you. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back