• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Conversion

69XMan

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. I am in the middle of swapping original ignition system in my 69 GTX to an MSD AL6 with new distributor. What to do with the Ballast resistor? I know I need to remove it but what do I do with the wiring? Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Take that one off if it's original and buy a new one, then gut the back of it and replace the resistor w a 10ga wire. Fill the back with silicone then install it. Now, that area will look stock but still get full 12+ volts. And you still have original if you ever wanna go back.

Take that one off if it's original and buy a new one, then gut the back of it and replace the resistor w a 10ga wire. Fill the back with silicone then install it. Now, that area will look stock but still get full 12+ volts. And you still have original if you ever wanna go back.
Great idea. Thanks.

Or you can put them on the same terminal using a double spade connector.

P02411197_FUL.jpg

Asking for help again. Here is a short video I put together to try and explain my situation. .

I can get the car to idle but the timing light shows I’m at least 30* advance when it likes to idle. Hard to start. Also it back fires when revved up. I have the distributor setup for mechanical advance of up to 25* with the middle setup on added picture. I’m stuck on what to do.

image.jpg

Just a word of caution, not all timing lights work correctly with an MSD ignition.

Are you sure you were at TDC on number 1?
You may have been on the exhaust stroke if you were pointing at number 3. If you pulled the old distributor out and it was pointed at number 1 then your close to 180 off. In which case it shouldn't even run. My 383 runs well at 30 degrees advanced but I'm running efi so it's totally electronic.
The backfire could be a reluctor phasing issue but I haven't heard of that problem with MSD distributors as the caps are larger diameter.

Are you sure you were at TDC on number 1?
You may have been on the exhaust stroke if you were pointing at number 3. If you pulled the old distributor out and it was pointed at number 1 then your close to 180 off. In which case it shouldn't even run. My 383 runs well at 30 degrees advanced but I'm running efi so it's totally electronic.
The backfire could be a reluctor phasing issue but I haven't heard of that problem with MSD distributors as the caps are larger diameter.
Pretty sure. I put my finger over the whole and turned it by hand over. Felt the air come out. I was able to get the car to run and idle. My advance looks to be running about 12-14*. But have some knocking going on. Especially when giving it some gas. I’m replacing all the spark plugs with a .040 gap then will try again. My new plug wire boots in #5 & 6 are not fitting due to the headers. Going to have to custom make a couple with 90* boots. Then I’ll have a go again at dialing in the timing.

Okay I'm guessing you did double check the firing order?

Auto Transport Service
Back