• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mufflers mild, moderate, agressive

I have Dynomax cats and Magnaflow muffs on my 2000 Dak R/T and I LOVE the way it sounds. I hope I can get a similar sound on my Coronet and Charger.

Price was great. Occasionally I get a pulsing effect, but usually when passing another vehicle with a "tuned" exhaust.

5.9 Mags sound pretty good from the factory, mine's just a bit throatier and a bit less quiet at higher RPM.

You guys need to do research on "Helmholtz resonators".

Every car, particularly the old ones, resonate severely at a fairly low frequency.

The reason Flowmasters resonate so much is because they are designed to produce the ultra low frequencies that sound so good and powerful.

I know that some people hate the sound, even when the resonance is taken out, but the vast majority of humans like it. It's no different than people that like heavy rock music vs. those that don't. --- Metalica is more popular than Hanna Montana.

I for one, love (and use) the 40's, but I have an extensive background in high performance car stereo, so I can assure you that taming the resonance is not a problem, while still keeping the deep/powerful sound.

Without trying to get into resonant frequencies, Q, sympathetic harmonics, wavelengths, orders of harmonics, etc; I will post this discussion at a Mustang forum. There are many others on the web, but without spending an inordinate amount of time learning why, they offer some good solutions.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=496793

I like my 50 series flowmasters on my 64 fury. They are comfortable when cruising on the highway and streets and sound aggressive when you get on it.

You guys need to do research on "Helmholtz resonators".

Every car, particularly the old ones, resonate severely at a fairly low frequency.

The reason Flowmasters resonate so much is because they are designed to produce the ultra low frequencies that sound so good and powerful.

I know that some people hate the sound, even when the resonance is taken out, but the vast majority of humans like it. It's no different than people that like heavy rock music vs. those that don't. --- Metalica is more popular than Hanna Montana.

I for one, love (and use) the 40's, but I have an extensive background in high performance car stereo, so I can assure you that taming the resonance is not a problem, while still keeping the deep/powerful sound.

Without trying to get into resonant frequencies, Q, sympathetic harmonics, wavelengths, orders of harmonics, etc; I will post this discussion at a Mustang forum. There are many others on the web, but without spending an inordinate amount of time learning why, they offer some good solutions.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=496793

This dude is correct. :werd:

I had a 69 Road Runner and a 70 Super Bee. I used stock style hemi mufflers on both of them and they sounded just right with the chrome tips. I am not for sure where to buy them now, though.

I had the Dynomax Super Turbos installed this weekend and at idle and running up throught the gears they are very simular to the Flowmaster 40's.

At freeway speeds and passing (Not enought to open the secondaries) they are very nice sounding. must mellower than the flowmasters.

I have a 2 hour cruise to a car show this weekend so that should be a good sanity test.

I believe to make the Charger quiter at this point I would have to move to a bigger muffler. They Flowmasters and Dynomax mufflers body are only 14 inches long with a 10 inch diameter.

Thanks for you opinions everyone!
-Steve

Just put a set of thrush welded 2 chamber on the coronet. They sound good and interior noise is at a low level. Can even hold a conversation.
Price-very reasonable

Auto Transport Service
Back