• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MW intake backwards install...

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Yup, I did that. Yes, I'm an idiot. I post this in an effort to warn those after me. I installed the MW crossram backwards. In my defense, this is my first experience with MW cross rams and I failed to realize that I could actually do that. In the interest of full disclosure, this is my post. I discovered this when I was installing the MW XRAM linkages. To those that follow, verify that you have it right. The easiest way to do that is visually verify that the throttle linkage plate mates and bolts up at the REAR of the intake and the coil mounting bracket is at the FRONT of the intake. It is entirely possible to swap these (as I had done) in error. Rookie move for sure at the ripe old age of 65 in my case. Embarrassing for sure but at my advanced age of 65 I'm past that. I could have spared myself the embarrassment but it is what it is, go ahead and laugh, I will laugh along with you, it is funny after all.

I've attached a pic to keep other dumbasses from duplicating my error.

Chuck (snook)

20220526_080600.jpg

No, you have the linkage backwards....:poke:
Stop being so hard on yourself. You have never seen one and didn't know any better. Most of us are self taught wrench turners and how else do you learn its backwards?
Thanks for sharing your mistake and helping others to learn.

No, I've never done it!

I have NEVER done that. But then, I have never been lucky enough to have a Max Wedge to work on either. Count your blessings, Snook. I think that a lot of us can think of things we have done with our cars that gave us a "What the Hell" moment. Learn and move on.

Yup, I did that. Yes, I'm an idiot. I post this in an effort to warn those after me. I installed the MW crossram backwards. In my defense, this is my first experience with MW cross rams and I failed to realize that I could actually do that. In the interest of full disclosure, this is my post. I discovered this when I was installing the MW XRAM linkages. To those that follow, verify that you have it right. The easiest way to do that is visually verify that the throttle linkage plate mates and bolts up at the REAR of the intake and the coil mounting bracket is at the FRONT of the intake. It is entirely possible to swap these (as I had done) in error. Rookie move for sure at the ripe old age of 65 in my case. Embarrassing for sure but at my advanced age of 65 I'm past that. I could have spared myself the embarrassment but it is what it is, go ahead and laugh, I will laugh along with you, it is funny after all.

I've attached a pic to keep other dumbasses from duplicating my error.

Chuck (snook)

View attachment 1289991

It happens to the best of us.

I sure hope you didn't tell your Wife that you did that!

I just put my leaf spring clamps on upside down. Now
I have to buy a complete rebuilding kit just for the straps!
We all make Boo Boo's

Simple mistakes can happen to anybody
The co. I used to work for, crushed concrete into road rock (like the one I work for now) when the scheduled overhaul came up, they had road machinery and supplies (heavy hitters) @ $110 hr. perform the work, after a week or so, job, completed, they went to start the plant, but only thing that would happen is the 6 foot flywheel would jerk, after a couple tries the mechanic's head drops, he realized he had left a locking pin DEEP inside the crusher that needed to be there during the first stage of reassembly:(, well a week and a half later, we were making rock.

Many years ago I worked at a Porsche dealer. Yes, I drove my Mopars to the Porsche dealer! The unit man rebuilt a transmission. When he put it in it had 4 speeds in reverse! Porsche used the same trans in both the 911 and the 914. The 911 is rear engine and the 914 is mid-engine. He had rebuilt a 914 trans as a 911 trans and the ring and pinion were backwards from the 914!

that sucks but we all screw up,looks nice though :lol:

I too envy you in that I'd like to own one so I could make the same mistake. All in all a good problem to have!

I have NEVER done that. But then, I have never been lucky enough to have a Max Wedge to work on either. Count your blessings, Snook. I think that a lot of us can think of things we have done with our cars that gave us a "What the Hell" moment. Learn and move on.
Oh, hell yeah ! I'd love to be able to say I had a Max Wedge that I messed up something... I just did that to other cars over the years !

Hey, I've seen regular aluminum intakes on backwards before. Seems like one could easily see the angle of the carb mount before bolting down one of those lol. Been a long time since seeing a cross ram but iirc, the carb mounts are flat on those.....?

Hey, I've seen regular aluminum intakes on backwards before. Seems like one could easily see the angle of the carb mount before bolting down one of those lol. Been a long time since seeing a cross ram but iirc, the carb mounts are flat on those.....?

Yup, flat. Going back on today after I clean things up... again.

Chuck (snook)

I'm reinstalling my cross ram this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. I'll sure it's not on backwards. Don't worry though....I will find something else to mess up.

I was always told the person who makes no mistakes doesn't do anything. I have tried not to make the same
mistake twice.

Back racing in the earth 70s one guy did that, as soon as I saw it I quietly let him know. A simple way is the numbers next to the plugs which tells the length of the cap screws, longest in the back. One time I put the wrong bolt in wrong spot, it came out while at the track. Engine had a high speed miss so thought it was a bad gasket. When removing bolts IT wasn’t there. Found it down in the intake port, both port and bolt polished up real good but it was long enough NOT to turn down past the valve. New gaskets back on all was good!

Funniest post ever, thanks. Love your self deprecating humor. I'm know I have done some things worse, I just don't tell anybody, I throw stuff around the shop. You have made my day and I'm betting all of us will think twice, then again, next time we are about to put something together that could go on backwards or upside down.

Auto Transport Service
Back