• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1972 Charger

RedShadow30

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Long story short im trying to make a list of all the things I need done to my Charger. Please excuse the mess inside. Im mostly looking for things I may miss being a rookie. Nothing will hurt my feeling so feel free to speak the truth on it.

So far I have 4500 in it including the cost of it, I just want a Nice regular driver, not a show car.

The block casting is 4006630-440

IMAG0407.jpg
The dash is realitively good. From what research ive done, that center console is from a 68 charger maybe?

IMAG0409_BURST001.jpg
What is this cluster set from, it has a tach?

IMAG0410.jpg
All the interior is here
IMAG0413.jpg
IMAG0443.jpg
IMAG0414.jpg
IMAG0415.jpg
The harmonic balancer, is it internally or externally ballanced?

IMAG0416.jpg
My fan setup (I know I got to fix it all)

IMAG0411.jpg
Previous paint job showing.

IMAG0418.jpg
Passenger side

IMAG0419_BURST001.jpg
Drivers Side

IMAG0420.jpg
Vin plate (Its now has a custom car florida ID issued for it)

IMAG0439.jpg
More retarded fan setup.

IMAG0440.jpg
A dent in the front quarter panel.

IMAG0441.jpg
Rear Quarter (someone keyed it)

IMAG0460.jpg
Hood Underside

And the Trim
IMAG0445.jpg
IMAG0446.jpg
IMAG0447.jpg
IMAG0448.jpg

Trunk follows

IMAG0449.jpg
IMAG0451.jpg
IMAG0452.jpg
IMAG0453.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg

And now the rust.

IMAG0455_BURST001.jpg
IMAG0456.jpg
Rear passenger quarter panel

IMAG0459.jpg
The cowl leaks a little, excuse the ducktape.

Does the VIN on the dash matcg that fender tag?

It looks like the car was originally orange, but the tag says white with a white top and white interior.
(and a 318)

The cluster has a clock, but a factory tach will fit in it's place.

Did you buy that car from the Haines City/Davenport area?

Yea they match, and I bought it from Darlene Van Zant in middleburg FL. Seriously not joking here lol.

Forgive me for saying tach, i dont know why i did, im used to them being there.

I know someone who had it before them stripped it to the nuts and bolts to repaint it 10 years ago, but then painted it later to sell. Someone at one time raced it at a track at one point, im 100% sure of it.

Truthfully to make it mine, I want something I can drive and pass down to my future kids, I dont care about matching numbers or to make it a show car. I love the feel of the engine, the roar it makes down the road, and the two black lines I can leave behind me. After I finish the gas tank cleaning and the electrical problem, ill be going over and making sure that no more major rust can develop. So my first goal is just to "age proof" it as much as I can. Its my dream car and it will never be done untill the day I die.

Well hey......That's what it is all about! Enjoying what you got and passing it on. You got the right idea Red. I think if our cars could talk to us, that's what they would say. Not being trailered around like a grandma in a wheelchair, tossed in a corner with a blanky or roped off like a circus animal; just to be driven, enjoyed and passed on.

Interesting. I bought a 70 Coronet 500 parts car from a Van Zant lady in Lakeland about 1990.

That hood is worth 1/2 of what you paid for the car!

that is a good solid car to start out with. make it the way you want it and have fun. take your time and don't get frustrated.

Yea, I would of never believed them if i wasint sitting in the living room signing the paperwork with all the platnum albums all over the wall. Classic cars always lead to adventure :headbang:. I waited a week to get a call back and when they did call me back, i hauled butt out there to see it. Spent 15 minutes looking it over and asked if I could check the trunk and floor pan, no bad rust. So I snatched it up. It sat for 4-5 years in a garage so I took about 2 months slowly going over the engine and drivetrain, replacing fluids and wires, and prepping the cylinders. When I fired it up the first time, that exhaust was built so well you can only hear the fan turning in the front, all the noise is in the back and it screams.
Ive drivin it around a few times, but there was more sediment in the gas tank than I thought so I have to drop it once the weather clears up here and clean it. Fix a problem with the ground wire, and adjust the suspention and it will be good to go for driving.

Interesting. I bought a 70 Coronet 500 parts car from a Van Zant lady in Lakeland about 1990.

That hood is worth 1/2 of what you paid for the car!

I seen a louvered hood at "Belvedere Happening" and the same one at "Mopar Nationals", I belive he wanted $700 for it. Was multi colored but nice.
The 72 bulge hood I got was $900. I bought it off the same guy with the louvered hood.

I like the car. The dash looks a like cock eyed might be the picture. Looks like you got some 70 style tail pipes. Is the front valance missing? Couldn't see the turn signal/marker lights in the front. You got a nice grill. Looks like the drivers inner fender needs some patching. But it really looks complete to me. No missing trim that I can see. Good deal. Lets see a video of it running:headbang:

That spot on the fender looks like it was someone bending over and hit it with their knee, ive done this to 3 cars and a truck. From what i can tell it they acid dipped the hood. The underside has that black krinkle coating on it, and its inside the fenders too. It has the front valance on it and its straight, i just didint have much room to be farther back.

And i saw your project earlier Matt, it looked like it was coming along beautifly, im 22 and would of loved to have something like that as my first car, parental points to ya on that.

Forgive me if my text gets sloppy, im posting from a phone, im all over the place lol.

That spot on the fender looks like it was someone bending over and hit it with their knee, ive done this to 3 cars and a truck. From what i can tell it they acid dipped the hood. The underside has that black krinkle coating on it, and its inside the fenders too. It has the front valance on it and its straight, i just didint have much room to be farther back.

And i saw your project earlier Matt, it looked like it was coming along beautifly, im 22 and would of loved to have something like that as my first car, parental points to ya on that.

Forgive me if my text gets sloppy, im posting from a phone, im all over the place lol.

The spot on the inner fender I was talking about was in the 6th picture down from the top. The full engine bay picture. There appears to be a good sized rust hole located in the notorious spot under the battery or where the battery originally was in the engine compartment. But that's really not that bad. The car looks good. Sorry for confusing ya with my first post.

Thats a great looking Charger... Looks like a solid car, good luck getting it where you want it!

The spot on the inner fender I was talking about was in the 6th picture down from the top. The full engine bay picture. There appears to be a good sized rust hole located in the notorious spot under the battery or where the battery originally was in the engine compartment. But that's really not that bad. The car looks good. Sorry for confusing ya with my first post.

Funny you should mention that, I was meaning to ask, or how do I put this, It looks like when it was painted the orange color, they used something that ate away the rust, and left bare metal, I chiped off a couple spots to be sure, under that paint is bare metal, no rust. Call me crazy but im being serious here. I have been over the entire car with magnets too to see if there was any bondo, only on the rear passenger side fender and its a small amount.

As far as A/C at the point probably not, even though im in florida, I dont drive it every day and I dont like it to see any rain so im okay with leaving the windows down.

Looks like a good looking charger.I don't see anything that would require any major repairs,maybe rear quarter.Have you inventoried what else you will need for the car?

Looks like a good looking charger.I don't see anything that would require any major repairs,maybe rear quarter.Have you inventoried what else you will need for the car?

As far as I can tell, everything is there for a complete car, all the same year probably not though. before I make it a regular driver I do need to put a shroud back on it, and add a clutch to the fan. Last thing I want to do is tear up that motor. I do plan on pulling all the carpet out of it though, I feel more confortable being able to see all the metal till im 100% sure there are no leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back