• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 66 Satellite street car project

Got the engine bay done even though it was wet blasted still ALOT of detail work with wire wheel and DA.

IMG_0897.JPG

Welded the upper control arm bracket fully and ground smooth, Welded the lower section of shock tower to frame and ground smooth.

IMG_0898.JPG

Also cut off inner frame pinch weld (behind distribution block) filled with weld and ground smooth.

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Had to deal with some more rust issues so I decided to just remove that section of pinch weld from the frame and box it in.

Before

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Also replaced the section behind brake line mount

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

After

IMG_0988.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Had to modify the rear splash shield due to Stiffing Brace to get it to fit.

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Ready for Epoxy

IMG_0987.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Installing Radiator Brace

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Lat Night Again

IMG_1023.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

My new toy (JMR Tubing Bender and Notcher) HAve dies for 1", 1 1/4", and 1 3/4" Can you say roll bar:icon_super:

Made my own stand with holders. To bad its bolted to the floor in the middle of garage.

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

Geeez, that thing looks like a serious weapon, oh and that's some shiny sheet metal you got there. Good Luck

Darn, I wish I had your patience AND SKILL. Fantastic project. I'm sure your motor will meet your expectations.

Jeez, now look what you've done. I want my satty back.....

So I was able to spend a couple days finishing off the engine bay and finally get it in epoxy. I had a fold up tent from Costco that seemed to make a perfect paint booth so I used it. I used an old blow up tent blower fan to suck out the fumes, and it worked amazingly well.

IMG_1169.JPG

BEFORE PRIMER

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

AFTER PRIMER

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

love the tent idea! Be careful with using fans though. If you're using lacquers or other explosive chemicals, those fans better be rated for painting use. They usually have non-ferrous parts to eliminate the chance of sparks.

love the tent idea! Be careful with using fans though. If you're using lacquers or other explosive chemicals, those fans better be rated for painting use. They usually have non-ferrous parts to eliminate the chance of sparks.

Yea I thought about that, Maybe not long enough, but thought about it....

So I finally done with the blocking , Sanding, Cleaning of the engine bay and cowl/Door Hinge area. Geeeez that sucked!!!!

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Had to come up with better plan for the paint booth used some pipe and plastic to build.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

At least I can open the door now. The old tent I jamed in there didn't allow me to open the main garage door.

Spraying Base Coat and clear coat tonight! Hope all goes well. Been working on the engine bay for a couple months now (NERVOUS)

Well I mixed the last coat of epoxy sealer and reduced it about 40% as directed by Gary at SPI. I knew it was a bit thin when i was mixing it and it didn't really want to cover the paint stick when pulling out to inspect. Seeing how I had very little epoxy left I decided to make a go of it and sprayed it anyway. Well that was a mistake cause as I was spraying the paint was laying on very translucent, which I tried to compensate for with a bit heavier coat. After I finished all look good for a few minutes but when I returned there were runs everywhere. Not happy :(

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

Great work. Engine bay will look great!

Did you seriously buy this car for $900? I hate you. Not really, but thats a steal, every idiot on craigslist and ebay wants 4K for a 4 door 66/67 with rotted floors and a seized 318. Nice work.

Did you seriously buy this car for $900? I hate you. Not really, but thats a steal, every idiot on craigslist and ebay wants 4K for a 4 door 66/67 with rotted floors and a seized 318. Nice work.

Yea but that was about 6 years ago and it wasn't as good as you think. It had 4 locked up wheels and had to be dragged onto a trailer. Needed disc brake conversion with new lines booster wheel cylinders etc, Tires and wheels, steering box and linkage, all new bushings and a lot of elbow grease. Also some idiot kid shot the quarter window and driver window out with a pellet gun.

I hear you, she's coming along nice though

wet sanded all the runs out yesterday and cleaned everything up again. Found a spot that some welding work was showing through on the firewall behind the fender apron, so I addressed that.

Sprayed another seal coat of epoxy primer (this time reducing only about 10%) Finally good and glass smooth, waited 2 1/2 hours and then shot first coat of base.

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

After 2 coats of base I noticed some dust in the paint, so instead of sealing it in with another coat of base and clear I decided to wet sand it out again GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!

IMG_1244.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Wet sanding was done late last night so today (after work) I need to pick up some tack clothes so I can tack off before last coat of base and hopefully clear go on.

- - - Updated - - -

He is my tech tip for the day:

To avoid dry spray (when spraying an engine bay) Start on the outside of the car working down under then up through the middle coating the tops of the inner fenders last keeping a wet edge the whole time. If not done this way the tops of the fenders and cowl will have lots of dry spray and need to be wet sanded again.

Ask me how I know. :)

Finally done with engine bay, Not perfect but pretty good.

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

Awesome looks very good! I know the pain you're going through with that wet sanding going over and over! lol

Auto Transport Service
Back