• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '68 Charger restoration

progress?

You again...:D

Why yes, yes there is. I am still daily driving the Challenger, getting about 18 mpg with the slant 6. I just moved to a new house with a 30x33 shop about 2 months ago, so things are starting to move forward again on the cars. I have room to spread out and actually get some work done without tripping over myself.

As far as the Charger goes, I picked up another '68, this time from the great white north. I hauled it down from Montana and am in the process of doing a 5.9L Magnum/A518 swap from a '98 Ram. I have the engine in, running, and wiring condensed down to the bare necessities. The trans has been fitted to the crossmember, and now I am putting in a new floor pan. The car needs rear rails behind the axle, a trunk pan, and at least lower quarters, but since I have the full quarter for the passenger side already, I will likely just go all in.

This car is far more solid than the previous one.

Coming down from Montana:

In the old garage:

In the new shop:

Body isn't too bad:

What don't you see? Rear window rot!

Factory wiring for the '98 Ram, condensed into 2 fuse/relay panels and 22 wires back to the Engine and PCM.

The wiring is going to pass through the firewall using 2 weatherpack bulkheads just to the passenger side of the distributor at about the height of the heater core pipes. It comes in right behind the heater box and will route the wires just back to where the factory fuse panel currently resides.

Today's mission: drivers side floor pan r&r. I have the rear out and clear. Now to remove the front half, clean, prime, seal, and reassemble. Nice thing is now I can push the car out of the shop, spot-blast the brackets and mating surfaces, and then roll it back in.

I'll start a new thread for this car and link this back into it.

Looks in better shape than your last Charger, good luck enjoyed your last posts

Side note: I've got 5 kids ages 9 and under and another one due in 7 weeks. Time to work in the shop is rare, and usually only happens after everyone else is in bed and my chores are done. :steering:

Got more of the floor pan out last night:

Laid the new one in there to verify I hadn't cut too far up the tunnel:

Just have to get the last few inches up front:

I'll hopefully get to roll the car out of the shop this weekend and use the spot blaster to clean up the rocker, crossmember, and brackets. I'll likely pull the dash tonight to improve access for this and also the bulkhead pass-through holes I have to drill out.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back