• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 68 roadrunner vin on engine ?

417guy

Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
I’ve had my car for 24 years. Was not sold to me as numbers matching. I found all the engine numbers, it is a 383 HP motor, correct dates, etc. The fender tag is correct to the car, I’ve decoded it. The core support and trunk rail is stamped correctly. Here’s the curious thing…my vin on the dash ends in 03567. The stamping on top of the back of the engine ends in 03597. Everything on the car indicated all correct by fender tag, stamping by distributor, and stamping on core support and trunk lip. Anyone have an opinion on the engine vin being transposed 9 for a 6 ? Anyone ever run into this ? Of course when I sell it’s not “ numbers matching”, but all other info matches. Seems pretty unusual to me. Opinions ??

Is the VIN stamped adjacent to it on the transmission? OR if it is a 4 speed, is it stamped on it?

Wouldn't surprise me at all to have one number upside down. I have heard of much worse number mistakes.

Wouldn’t surprise me either if it’s a stamping error. Have you looked at the casting code on the block to see if it’s consistent with the build date?

Opps, never mind I reread your first post and see you have. Should be good.

Probably just a flip of the 6. As 33IMP said, there is way worse stamping errors out there. Some say, maybe it was on Friday afternoon or Monday morning, and the stamper wasn't as sharp as they should have been. Once its stamped there's no un stamping it, so it just stays that way forever. I'd say it makes it worth more, than a plain old "matching numbers" car. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just think how hard it would be to actually find a 383 stamped with a transposed
number in that position to replace a correctly stamped one? I'd say you have a WINNER!
Just a Boo Boo at work! Carry on.

Let's see the pic's but I'll hazard a guess it's the orig. motor & the vin was just mis-stamped.

Just think how hard it would be to actually find a 383 stamped with a transposed
number in that position to replace a correctly stamped one? I'd say you have a WINNER!
Just a Boo Boo at work! Carry on.
My thoughts exactly ! Everything else except trans matches what it should be

Probably just a flip of the 6. As 33IMP said, there is way worse stamping errors out there. Some say, maybe it was on Friday afternoon or Monday morning, and the stamper wasn't as sharp as they should have been. Once its stamped there's no un stamping it, so it just stays that way forever. I'd say it makes it worth more, than a plain old "matching numbers" car. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks. I haven’t worried , but just bugs me

Thanks. I haven’t worried , but just bugs me
I understand, my car has a stamp issue too... I did a thread about it. It has the 440 HP stamped as a 383 on the bottom oil pan flange.

Auto Transport Service
Back