• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '71 GTX

Life is one of those things that takes twists and turns you never expect it to...it's amazing how two years is lost on a project when you focus on the important things in your life.

resurrecting a long dead thread....things are finally sorted out, and back on track, i've given up on expecting it to be done anytime soon....but here's some new pics... basically the saga starting with inspiration pictures, and continuing to just about a month ago.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1116...609703238637837036/albums/5360721519667567617

it'll get there...it's just God teaching me patience....

sjd

Good to see your back at it...

- - - Updated - - -

Don't feel too bad I've been working on my 68 RM23 RR for way too long, she's drivable & fun, but still in Ultra Flat Black instead of the LL1 Surf Turquoise Metallic it will ultimately be again... I got the car in Dec. 2005, had another 68 RR street-strip/racecar I sold a few years latter... Then I went gang busters for a while, then I moved my Pops off the mountain, bought & sold 2 houses, moved from Sac. area to Sonora, had to pay off 6 kids student loans "FINALY", put new $10k 4 ton A/C & heater, new roof & insulation, paint, landscape, deal with lives crap in general... Getting into my car funds & time way too much.... Yes "Patients is a virtue", but I lost my virtue nearly 40 years ago now....LOL... good luck on your 71 GTX

Thanks guys. the new shop picked up the car, paint should be done by the end of the month.

On the bright side, the year lost to the other "painter" might have netted me a c-body convertible...but that's a whole other story...

sjd

Your car looks great. Can't wait to see it with a brand new coat of color on it.

Nice ride, just keep at it whenever you can. It will come together.

I just went and looked at your photos, Man thats a great looking ride!

nice car, the 71 gtx has always been one of my favorites. you obviously have more patience than i do. cant wait to see more pics.

bumpers.jpg

I got my bumpers stripped and powdercoated chrome with a clear topcoat that dulls the finish a little. it's this really cool satin silver....it's not perfect, but it'll do, and it's better than the rusty chrome they were.

sjd

I know Gionni's car well...it's the first GY9 car with painted bumpers that I've liked...

I'm on RRnest too...

sjd

Congrats, Looks great! i would be excited!! Good luck with the finish...

That is a beautiful color. Did I see some metal flake in the paint or are my eyes just getting too old?

It's got massive metal flake in it. So much so that the paint guy was griping about it clogging his filter. the OE color is tawny gold metallic (this color), and has metallic in it, but modern formulations can be a little different. Those pics aren't even wet sanded or buffed out. we're going to let the clear harden while I start to re-assemble, and then he will come back in and sand and buff it.

THis is really green (IMO), compared to gionni's car, and really gold compared to the very brown color that my wheels are.

It's home now, and I need to get the proper black out spray (I think a lot of guys use SEM? paints) for behind the grille and the blacked out areas...

all in all, I'm very happy with the job done.

sjd

Auto Transport Service
Back